Monday, March 16, 2009

Babies: The Days Are Long

This quote speaks to me in a big way:

"The days are long, but the years are short."

Time is already flying! Paloma has been with us now for more than a month, and her official due date is only a few short weeks away. Had all gone according to plan, I would still have been pregnant now and likely lamenting that fact, as the last weeks of pregnancy are often marked by swollen ankles, feelings of ungainliness, and stretch marks.

IMG_2632

How is time flying? Paloma is much better at breastfeeding than she once was, and she now fits into Huggies newborn size diapers. Soon, I imagine, she'll be big enough to wear the many, many cloth diapers we have waiting. Also, she spends much more time awake and aware than she did when we brought her home from the NICU. She actually focuses on things that interest her, from me or her dad to the red and black bib we hung on the side of her bassinet. And, finally, Paloma's dried and crusty cord fell off sometime between 4 a.m. and 7 a.m.

Meanwhile I am slowly adjusting to my new schedule, though I feel rather under the weather today. It's still a challenge to find the time to brush my teeth twice in one day or to shower before Tedd comes home from work. Working, too, is a challenge, and yesterday I lamented the fact that Paloma arrived early, as said early arrival meant that my plan of having two months of work banked never came to fruititon. I had some banked, but I burned through when in the hospital and spending time in the NICU.

Now it is time for yet another feeding... the days drag and fly by at the same time. Paloma is already so different than the baby I met on February 14, and for whatever reason, that makes me just a little sad.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand of being excited and sad by the rapid changes you see in the baby. Ev is such a tall baby that he doesn't look his age so occasionally I look at him and think "he's not a baby anymore!" which isn't true, of course. It's odd..it's like he's got a baby head and a little boy body.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...