Thursday, April 30, 2009

Goodnight, My Darling

Tonight is the first night since Paloma was born that we're not going to set the alarms. One LC and one nurse have both suggested nixing the alarm and seeing what happens. Well, okay then. They assure us that if Paloma gets hungry, she'll wake us. Whereas most parents of babies are relieved to let them sleep a bit, I'm apprehensive because I have such a quiet baby.

I'm willing to let Paloma sleep at least once as an experiment, however, because she's definitely a nighttime snoozer. Unlike in her first weeks, she is awake for much, if not most, of the day, and sleeps quite soundly at night. In fact, lately when we wake her to eat at 1 a.m. or 4 a.m., she remains very sleepy and doesn't eat much. During the day, however, she often eats rather heartily. Today she ate especially well -- unfortunately too well at one feeding where she nursed and nursed until she spit up a great deal.

(In other news, I snuck into the hospital to use an infant scale, and Paloma now weighs around just under 9 pounds. I can't be more specific because I didn't have time to undress and re-dress her since I was using hospital equipment illicitly. She clocked in at 9 pounds 3 ounces, and I'm estimating the weight of her clothes and her clean diaper.)

2 comments:

  1. How did this experiment work out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Paloma does wake us when she's hungry... or just awake, eek. She did not "sleep through the night" as they say, but we can get a 4-5 hour stretch of sleep if we're lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...