Saturday, May 9, 2009

Breastmilk Drying Up?

Maybe the people who suggested I stop pumping as much were wrong? Twice today, I've gotten only a little more than a teaspoon when pumping my left breast after Paloma breastfed. I also felt less full on that side throughout the day. Could I have compromised my milk supply? Is it time for fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal breakfasts? Only time will tell, I suppose. But wouldn't it be sad if my milk dried up just as Paloma was starting to breastfeed more competently?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds more like your body is adjusting it's supply to what she needs. If you were only getting a teaspoon before you fed her, then I'd worry - but it was after she ate. And after some time you won't get engorged between feedings. As long as she's making enough wet diapers, and gaining weight, I wouldn't worry. Also, as she's getting better at nursing, she'll be more efficient. I only ever pump if I need to have milk on hand, or am gone - if I pumped regularly I'd have more milk that he needs, and that's not comfortable.

    But if it makes you feel better, make a cup of that tea - can't hurt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you from experience that yes, it is sad when the milk dries up just as they are figuring out the breastfeeding. But I agree with Mira, if you're only getting that after she's done then you are probably fine. Take precautions if you are concerned, there's nothing wrong with that either.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...