Wednesday, June 17, 2009

One Unhappy Baby

Oh, those four month immunization boosters. I've probably mentioned this before, but Paloma is generally a quiet, happy baby. She seldom cries, and she never, ever screams. Or never did scream before... At her four month booster appointment (where she weighed in at 11 lbs. 3 oz.) they gave her the shots before the pediatrician was ready to see her because the nurse on duty needed to go pick up her daughter. No prob, I thought. She dealt with her last injections like a champion -- hardly cried, didn't need Tylenol. Not this time! She screamed for an hour straight after the shots, which meant the pediatrician and I were talking over her plaintive wails. And like I said, I'm not used to the sound of her screaming, so I was kind of freaking out. Luckily, she eventually screamed herself to sleep, then slept for seven straight hours, so I could unwind from this novel experience. The worst part? She kept looking at me while screaming with an expression on her face that said "Can't you do anything about this?"

Plus, I had my period. After a good year of not having periods, I got mine even though we're breastfeeding full time and she doesn't quite sleep through the night. I guess I'm lucky that I went this long without it. I know at least one chick who breastfed full time -- her baby wouldn't even take a bottle -- and she started having regular periods a month after giving birth. I don't know that I could have coped with another variable on top of our crazy preemie feeding and pumping schedule. Periods suck, folks. Part of the reason I always said I wanted boys was so my children would not have to deal with periods... or sexism, the societal pressure to be perpetually beautiful and thin, the societal pressure to be smart but not too smart, and so on and so forth.

Tedd and the P II

In other news, as far as Paloma sleeping in her crib goes, everyone has acclimated. I don't think she much cared one way or the other, though she does wake up once during the night now where she was sleeping through before. However, I can't remember whether that started once we put her to bed in her crib or at some other random time. On weekends and other lazy mornings, she'll usually come into bed with us after the early feed for cuddles and general family fun time. I like having space to stretch out, and not having to sleep so lightly to avoid potentially rolling onto the baby. Co-sleeping was great while it lasted, but future co-sleeping will have to wait until my baby is not a squishy little smother target.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...