Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Didn't Think I'd Be Dealing With This Just Yet

We're not 100% sure, but we think Paloma might be hitting. Not just randomly whopping things with the flat of her hands to see if it will make a noise, but honest-to-goodness hitting. The story is that we had Emily over today, and those two babies usually have a nice time alternately ignoring each other and trying to grab each other's faces in their grippy little mitts. Emily wasn't feeling so hot, however, so she was a lot clingier than usual, so I spent a lot of her stay holding her while Paloma played down on the floor.

Sorting shapes

I don't think Paloma liked that very much, because her interactions with Emily took the form of (insofar as I interpreted her actions) hitting her. The good news is that Paloma has little tiny fists that are in keeping with the size of her tiny little body and that babies are easily distracted by noisy toys like the beautiful piano Paloma's babushka brought for her birthday. The bad news is that she was hitting, which means we need to spend more time on "gentle touches."

Of course, this is all based on my interpretation of events. Like I said above, most babies aren't above giving anything and everything a good womp when the urge strikes (har har). Paloma may have just been checking to see if Emily makes a neat discordant bell sound like the piano does when she slaps it with the flat of her hand. It just seemed so odd, though, that Paloma should start experimenting to see what happens when you hit a person on a day when I was giving Emily a larger share of my available attention.

Yikes!

3 comments:

  1. Awwww. She just didn't want to share you haha. Aidyn has hit me a couple times when he's mad... it's not all that cute now that it actually hurts me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of my kids are/were hitters. It is part of being a kid - they can't express themselves the way they want and it just happens. It doesn't make them a bully though. I hear you on not expecting to deal with it just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katrina Hopefully I'll be able to nip it in the bud once she's a bit older. Right now it only hurts when I haven't cut her nails in a while.

    @Wendy Thanks for the reassurance! I get the feeling that right now Paloma is just trying it out to see what happens.I've been saying "no" and making sad faces a lot so she doesn't learn that we think it's funny or cute.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...