Friday, May 21, 2010

Down And Dirty

The BabbyMama is working on learning to live and let live when it comes to getting dirty. I don't mean getting dirty myself, though I'm sure that's something I ought to be working on since I'm a bit of a priss.

No, I'm talking about letting the Babby learn about the world and it's many textures by squishing, smearing, poking, flinging, etc. Sometimes it's fingerpainting with food. Sometimes it's running her hands through the earth. Whatever it is, I cringe. I am not a fan of crumbs, dust, soil anywhere but in pots and out of doors, stained knees, or hair matted down with soup leavings. I know some people are cool with a little detritus of life, but it just isn't my bag.

Bounce goes here
The thing is, though, that playing with stuff that isn't hospital-grade sanitary is part of how babies learn about the world. Especially now, with Paloma toddling along like a champ, all she wants is to be outside, outside, outside. And outside, dear reader, is where the dirt lives (because it sure as heck doesn't live in *my* house). There is mud, especially now when our garden is eagerly drinking up any moisture we're willing to offer it. There is sand. Dead leaves and seed propellers. Snails galore! So here's me, trying to be a little less uptight about letting the Babby touch and feel her way around the yard, the street, the park, etc.

My next hurdle is food. The other day, the BabbyDaddy told me how proud he was of me. "What for?" I asked, confused. He answered that he was very proud of me for letting the Babby use a bit of biscuit to mop up her leftover soup. That, of course, left me wondering exactly what he must think of me...

6 comments:

  1. Hah I told you exactly why I was proud. A year ago you were cringing at spit-up and saying babies are gross. Gross as they may be, I'm proud of you for letting babies be gross.

    During this morning's tour of the estate, we saw either a slug or a totally naked snail going up the walk. I pointed it out to P. but she was way more interested in the dogs on NNL's mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She currently has pasta in her hair. What have I done?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "He answered that he was very proud of me for letting the Babby use a bit of biscuit to mop up her leftover soup. That, of course, left me wondering exactly what he must think of me..."

    Bwahahahahahahahahahah!
    I knew there was a reason we were friends. I have friends who check to see if I am looking befor ehtey eat certain things so that they will not gross me out (or so that they WILL gross me out, depending on the person).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually always kind of thought that eating is in and of itself pretty gross. You're watching food disappear. Into a person's insides. But they're grinding it up into something gross first. With spit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have heard of people getting sick from eating soup-soaked biscuits before. LOL
    She is ADORABLE, as is her mom, the worrier :)

    ~Lamb

    http://lambaround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...