Thursday, June 10, 2010

Teething: Canines


I should have known! Besides the fact that the Babby has been a bit of a grump, nursing has been uncomfortable lately. Whenever - and I mean every darn time - the Babby is cutting a tooth, she changes the way she latches (understandable) and I feel a twinge with every suck. Recently, I've been feeling that twinge, but it's been so long since we've seen any inklings of teething that I just plain forgot about the connection. Plus, aren't the canines supposed to come later?

Then again, Paloma's teeth have all arrived in the standard order, but she's always been on an accelerated schedule. At last check, she had 12 teeth...

And now she has 13 and is working on 14, 15, and 16!

Is it just me, or does that seem like an awful lot of teeth for one little 16-month-old to have in her itty-bitty mouth? At this rate, we'll be seeing those "two-year molars" by the time the Babby is a year and a half old. And, boy howdy, do I hate molars. But canines are proving easy on her and on us, thank goodness. They're not, as I've recently read, that easy for all babies, even if they're the sharpest teeth and thus pop through the smoothest. Or so they say.

Anyway, I guess it's time to say goodbye to Paloma's sweet babyish gap-toothed smile... at least until they start falling out, ick. Soon, her smile will be complete. Hopefully, completely disarming, too.

4 comments:

  1. #3 is nearly 2 and a half and is still trying to fill his mouth with teeth. Luckily he's got a gorgeously wide smile so there is plenty of room in there when the last few do decide to make an appearance. Good luck with those molars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the trenches of teething too and it bites big time! I have held off on giving Marlie any teething tablets, but I'm reconsidering. I wonder if there is a rehab facility where we can send our sore nipples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @parenting I'm actually hoping the Babby goes to two before cutting any more teeth, though I doubt it. We've been on a way accelerated tooth schedule with her, which I cannot figure out, since she was born early. Are her teeth just trying to catch up?

    @Teresha A nipple rehab facility! I love it, and want to go. The last time the Babby nursed, there were upper teeth marks when she popped off. Always when she's teething, I feel those terrible teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen sister!

    My husband once told me that watching ME get an epidural made his balls hurt. I gave him a dirty look, and may have even called him a p___y :) And said, "waaaaaaaaaaaaaa"! in my whiniest baby voice.

    And that was the end of that... perspective, boys, perspective!

    Have you seen that youtube thing about the man cold?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

    I love it so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...