Saturday, January 15, 2011

Noooo, I'm Not Ready!


I'm not entirely sure, but I think the time may finally have come to say goodbye to a very special friend of mine... Babby's regular like-clockwork afternoon nap. And I am so not ready to face a day of near-constant demands on my attention. Don't get me wrong; I love my Babby more than just about anything. Okay, more than anything except for the BabbyDaddy, and then it's a pretty close race, I tell you what. But it's not like I have the luxury of not working, so having a two-hour time slot in the middle of the day to fill with money-making activities has been a real blessing.

Guess it's about time to put my plan of teaching the Babby the fine art of playing by oneself. I'm thinking I'll gate her into her room - the ultimate safety zone - and keep an "eye" on her via the baby monitor. Might be worth buying a video monitor, actually. Currently, if she doesn't want to sleep or takes a long while to sleep, she still has enforced quiet time. It's in her crib, though, and I'm starting to worry that a big tumble will be the inevitable result of in-crib quiet time since I've caught her now and then with her leg up on the railing. She's never taken the next step, thankfully, and seems to believe me when I look shocked and say "Why, you can't get out of bed like that!"

So you may be wondering just why I think the Babby is making the transition to naps on an as-needed basis instead of daily at 1 p.m. on the dot. First, for at least a week now (and probably longer) naps haven't been at 1 p.m. on the dot - they've been at 2:30 p.m. or even 3:15 p.m., and then only after quite a bit of in-bed babbling and playing and half-hearted "Mama hold yoooou"s. Second, if I do try to put her down at the regular time, she's pretty obviously not sleepy any more and I feel like I'm just trying to put her down for my own convenience. And third, she's been grabbing more catnaps at really random times of day, though not every day. Like 15 minutes in the car or in the BabbyDaddy's arms on the walk home from the park or in the stroller. But unlike in the past, when you could transfer her to the crib, once she's had her power nap, she's all get-up-and-go.

Of course, I'm totally flexible, within some degree of reason. I recognize that this could be a phase or maybe the Babby will lose the nap for a while and then go back to. She may even just take a nap when she feels like taking a nap, which is all right, because she's pretty good about letting us know she's a sleepy chick. And I have too many friends whose babies are the same age as the Babby and don't nap at all ever. I'll ask the pedi about the whole napping thing at her two-year checkup - fast approaching, eek! - but until then, we'll adjust bedtime as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...