Thursday, February 3, 2011

Growing Up Is Hard to Do

I'm writing this on the eve of what will be our first night without the Babby's precious bink. No foolin'. The BabbyDaddy went through the house looking for stray Soothies and put them all in a plastic bag in our bedroom. Then he tried to get the Babby to be a big girl and throw the last one out. She was not having any of that - I literally had to go in another room and cover my ears because she was crying NOOOOOOOOO! and it hurt me so badly.

So the BabbyDaddy did it himself. I'm just glad it didn't result in the Babby going garbage picking. It actually provided us with a good comeback to "I want a BINK!" Namely: "We threw it out, remember?" And she remembers - she just asks us to "Find a new bink?" And then we say "There aren't any more."

(Derail: Can I just say I hate that 'be a big girl' stuff - speaking as a grownup person, the Babby has a whole life ahead of her of giving up things she loves because it's not grownup and hiding pain because it's the grownup thing to do and getting hurt and having to do X, Y, and Z boring chore because it is what grownups do.

Heck, I'm pretty sure that whatever the adult analog of a bink is, I'm not allowed to have it. Cigarettes, maybe? Yuckers. A whole bunch of chocolate? Getting closer!)

Anyway, at least I know that the likelihood of the Babby remembering any of this as an adult is low. Because I really do not want to be sitting down to, say, Thanksgiving dinner and have her suddenly blurt out something like "Remember that time that Papa threw out my bink? I'm, like, in so much therapy right now!"

Hmmm. I think that going to sleep for the night without the bink might have gone a little easier if the next door neighbor's son hadn't been aiming his snowblower snow stream at the side of our house, scaring the Babby. Heck, scaring me! THUMPWHUMPWHUMP.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. We did something similar with both of our boys. And we also did the Ferber thing, letting them learn to self-soothe themselves to sleep. It was so hard! But it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are tougher than me. I can't bring myself to do it yet! Keep us posted on how she adjusts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet by the weekend she won't remember binky. I love when daddies step in to play bad cop so mommies can preserve their sainthood ;->

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Waisting Time The Babby didn't really understand what was happening, but at least she remembers the action. As for sleep, we're not hardcore Ferberizers, but we have let her cry. And that is how she learned to self sooth with a bink so she's going to end up doing a wee bit of crying without, methinks.

    @Rebecca It was a totally spur of the moment thing. Problem is, she wouldn't take it out to talk and we don't relish the notion of future speech therapy. Other than that, it didn't worry me, except that we was SUPER reliant on it for comfort. Better that she can rely on us or herself or Flatcat.

    @Teresha Here's hoping!! And the BabbyDaddy has been great with this. I'm such a weepy mess, and he's tough and firm in this particular instance. I don't mind being the bad guy sometimes, but just not in this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to be surprised at how easy she gets over it. I've done it 4 times and each time I thought it was going to be a HUGE deal... and it is, for a bit... then they get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Courtney Thanks for the reassurance! I'm actually already surprised at how few times it's come up today. When I put her down to nap - which, granted, didn't go that well - she asked for a bink once and then asked if there were binks in the bed. Had to say, Sorry, babby, that's a no. But other than naptime being a pain, it hasn't been that bad! (And of course, the BabbyDaddy had NO issues putting her to bed yesterday...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a tough thing. I hope she doesn't turn to sucking her thumb. That is what Xie (my long term binky sucker) did. So we just gave her back the binky and limited it to when she was in her own bed. Better than a thumb. Eventually (years later) her older brothers mocking her and/or time caused her to give it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The notion hasn't occurred to her yet - in fact, she's tried it in the past, but didn't like it. Here's me, crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, man, giving up the bink AND a snow day? BRUTAL! Let me know how that goes, especially tomorrow all by your lonesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man I'm jealous...we still can't kick the nighttime bink...all other occasions we have cut it out of just not sleeping. SIGH I think honestly to me most of these habit kicking things (like bottles, binkies, blankets etc) are much harder for me to come to terms with than W. He usually adjusts just fine, I just don't want to have the moment where I NEED to give him one and can't. Silly Mama binks are for kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Carrie It went... all right. Could have been a lot worse. One meltdown, but then other than that a surprisingly happy day. Nighttime sleep hasn't been as good as it was before, though.

    @WTA I didn't even realize he was using one at all! I guess when it's just nighttime, there's not going to be a lot of pictures with the bink. Even though we've had some wacky sleep incidents, they actually haven't been related to taking the bink away, and she's still be good at self-soothing at night!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...