Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The New Nap Normal?

Taking away the pacifier? It's been a breeze. Save for one thing, that is. Naptime. Ever since that pesky binkie went bye bye, it's up in the air whether my champion napper will actually sleep during the day. 

In fact, it's been so bad that the BabbyDaddy and I thought, okay, we'll try operating on the assumption that the Babby is ready to give up her nap.



The only problem with that plan is that the Babby is obviously tired in the middle of the day and ends up ridonculously exhausted at around 5 p.m. Yesterday she actually fell asleep sitting up in a grocery trolley. (Oh, how I wish I'd had my camera or phone on me!) 


So today I took the Babby out for a snow play day and ran her around for over an hour. I fed her an early lunch and made sure she had a fresh diaper and plenty of blankets and quiet time with stories and cuddles.

And what did I get for my troubles? A few minutes of light snoozing on me along with oodles of rabid anger when it came time to put her down. And crazy mood swings from then on, since being super sleepy makes the Babby into a little wee witch. 

I really don't know what to do... My theory is that the Babby is having trouble relaxing enough to actually nap without the pacifier. She won't fall asleep during the day most of the time. But then afternoons are terrible for her and for me because she's just too tired to have any fun.

4 comments:

  1. You have my sympathy. P gave up napping for me around 2 years old, but would nap at school (with difficulty) b/c of peer pressure. Self-soothing has always been rough for her. (But now when she naps, I dread that night - she'll be up til midnight.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a super easy time transitioning our under-2 boy to sleep-time-only pacifier use. He's 24 months old now, and I'm trying to figure out how to wean him from using it while sleeping. He's totally fine without it during the day-- there was maybe one "bad" day during the transition to sleeping only-- but he is very reliant on at night.

    Which means when it falls out of his mouth and he wakes up with it gone, he is UP until it's found. Also his teeth are bucking out.

    I don't know if it's worth it to you to let her use it during sleep time, or if you want to just totally cold turky it. A baby without naps is a terrible thing. I am so not looking forward to ultimately taking the pacifier away from Niko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have my sympathies. Our daughter gave up the pacifier, and then would snooze a bit in the car during rides. It always threw off her bedtime schedule. She's past that now though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shelley It seems like a lot of the kids I know are primo nappers at childcare even if they hardly nap at home. The Babby is pretty good about nighttime bedtime no matter when or how long she's napped, which is a blessing.

    @Brigid Keely We tried the naptimes and nighttime only method, but the Babby would stash binks around and then find them. It just did not work for her, so we're sticking with cold turkey - there are more tantrums, but she also just turned two, so who knows!

    @JeanHasBeenShopping I just keep telling myself this too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...