Friday, March 18, 2011

Who Says You Can't Better Yourself While Also Working for a Living?

Note to self: When you have a blog idea at work, jot that bad boy down or else it's going to be 8 p.m. before you have a chance to sit down at the computer and who all knows what that great idea was. Oh well.

Speaking of work, it is what it is, which is some money and a chance to learn something. That's how I've been approaching it, anyway. I'm a little ashamed to say that I did a lot of slacking at some of the jobs I held after college - looking at whatever the equivalent of Facebook was instead of writing, writing my own stuff instead of writing what I was being paid to write, chatting with the BabbyDaddy (who at the time lived in another state), that sort of thing.

I got my work done, of course. The bare minimum of work and no more, which is why I'm not in a better place today. Oops.

But not this time! This time my scheme to actively avoid thinking about home and the Babby is helping me focus 100% on the work I am doing. Giving it my a-l-l, don't you know. In those oh-so-agonizing free moments, I am filling my time by learning more about both the subjects I'm writing about and the work going on around me.

For example, I am now pretty well versed in the history of golf, golf balls, and golf equipment; I took the time to study up on the basics of BIOS and the more complex EFI; I know what spaghetti code is and also lasagna code; I can tell you a little something about mesothelioma (which is such a sad thing that I won't tell you, though); and I know a lot more about Tiger Woods today than I did yesterday.

I wish I could say that I was learning anything of value, but in the absence of quality, quantity will have to suffice. Especially when one is using education to block out feelings of intense misery! If I'm too busy to watch the clock, I can't think about where I am and where I'm not. If my head is full of pointless information, I can't think about the Babby or whether the Babby is having a fun day.

In other words, if I work fast and I work hard and I work smart, maybe all this suffering will result in something good.

...in other, better news, I'm still finding time to make things:






And I have French vanilla ice cream, Heath chips, marshmallow sauce, an exercise bike, and sewing to finish tonight.

7 comments:

  1. after reading this I now feel like a huge slacker...
    hmmm, what to do what to do? ahhh, I'll go glue some dry noodles on construction paper..that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a true comparison! You have four times as many children as I do, and I secretly want to go back to slacking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I love those cups! And that owl is fantastic!! Guess I should really pay up and get my sewing machine fixed.... Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I love the owl, super-cute! I'm also intrigued as to how much you're going to combine those items you listed at the end of your post. :)

    Have an Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that owl!

    Stopped by from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want that pottery immediately - I LOVE it!! It will get better; there will be a time you can come home again! I can so relate to your work ethic, too! I didn't learn to give 110 percent until later in life - at least you were honest enough to say what the rest of us pretty much did, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish i could focus at work, i really do. but there are just so many things going on in life at any point in time that its so difficult. so i just whip out the iphone real quick and jot down a couple notes when i think of blogging ideas. i did the same thing when i didn't have a fancy phone too. it helps alot- especially if later you think of another idea expanding on it.

    then i can concentrate again. :)

    i found you through SITS today
    come and visit me at thestyleprojects.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...