Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Toddlers and the Morning Routine



toddlers morning routine

Has anyone else who's made the transition from stay-at-home-mom to working mom experienced the frustration of having to suddenly teach a toddler to conform to a morning routine? We've had a pretty tight evening routine going for a while now - even if the hour our evening routine is implemented changes from day to day - but until I started at my job, mornings were a kind of lazy, anything goes time of day.

Jams until lunch? Sure. A morning movie? Every so often. Breakfast on the run - toddler style. Chocolate chip pancakes on a weekday! Eat in the car on the way to the zoo. Whatever we wanted.

Now our morning routine looks more like this:

6:30 a.m. - The BabbyDaddy wakes up. Or is supposed to wake up. The Babby is hopefully still snoozing.


6:45 a.m. - The BabbyMama wakes up. Or, yeah, ought to wake up but hits snooze a couple of times because she can no longer sleep at night due to brainstress.


7ish - Hopefully parents have showered, which means it's time to wake up the Babby. This can result in smiles and giggles, or in screaming anger that lasts until screamhole is plugged by waffle and the Land Before Time series is playing on the Babbymama's laptop. Every morning is an exciting surprise!


7:15 a.m. - Breakfast begins.


7:45 a.m. - With luck, some amount of breakfast, on a scale from none to double waffle, has been eaten.

7:50 a.m. - The Babby may be 1) still eating, 2) kicking and screaming while we force her arms into a sweater, 3) being helpful by putting on her own shoes, 4) playing outside with the BabbyDaddy (like she was this morning), or 5) some combination of the above. Or maybe even some new terrible or wonderful or just plain puzzling thing!

Seriously, I have never met a toddler more disinclined to adapt to a morning routine than my own. Evening routine, yeah we've got that. Lunchtime at noon on the dot, once upon a time when lunchtime was my responsibility? Loved it. Morning routine?

*lets crazy-lady laugh escape from lips*

I'm wondering if it will get better or we're just doomed to serious ups and downs when it comes to the morning routine. Like I mentioned in a previous post, whereas some people are night owls or morning people, the Babby is definitely at her best mid-morning.

Like her mama... which is why the BabbyDaddy is on wake-up duty.

P.S. - In addition to working outside the home *sigh*, documenting my outfits, sewing stuff, etc., I also have some awesome side projects that I think are def. worth a look! For example, there's my wedding planning blog and my home decor blog. I also work with Graham's Foundation, an awesome prematurity-focused organization that deals specifically with micro-preemie issues. Please take the time to visit all three, and maybe even donate to Graham's Foundation!

P.P.S. - Stay tuned for a introduction post about one of the Babby's awesome sponsors, Recipe Relay. Until then, if you haven't taken a look, go check them out! Their blog is full of awesome recipes and foodie-friendly info that's good for you and good for the planet. You can't go wrong!

5 comments:

  1. Getting toddlers ready in the morning sucks, especially if your girl "has a hard time with transitions" as the professionals so delicately put it to us. Sometimes clothing her was a two-person job, because she had to be ready for all of us to get to work. It was hard. I didn't blame her - it's not like I wanted to spend an hour in traffic to get to work, either. Blech.

    I don't know if it would be better or worse now, at 3 3/4. It really could go either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only do this (getting toddlers out the door) once a week... for church! My 3 year old is my first to fight against this and often shows up sulky to church :) Once a week is enough for me. Luckily, by the time they are ready for Kinder, they are ready for routines.

    I feel for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @E.H. Here's the weird thing - she loves going to our daycare provider for playtime. It's not the getting out the door that stinks, just the getting up and getting back into the land of the fully conscious!

    @Courtney Can I just tell you how many times I can remember a certain brother of mine wearing play clothes to church because it was the ONLY way to get him there without duct taping him to a pew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't work when mine were small but even getting them to preschool when they were older was a nuisance. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Debbie Oh, I have no illusions that it will get any easier! No one in my household is a true 'morning person'.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...