Tuesday, September 6, 2011

On Daydreams and Decluttering and Daycare


toddlers and foreign language


I keep daydreaming about running away to Berlin. With my whole family in tow, of course. We'd sell all of our things, stay with family until we could find an apartment. Start from scratch in the home department. The BabbyDaddy would have a job lined up at an audio software firm. I'd be a freelancer again, working for companies in the U.S. very, very remotely. And I'd eat Gummibärchen even though they're not strictly veg. The Babby would eventually go to a German preschool. She'd hate it at first, then get used to it.

I don't know where the cats fit in. Maybe they wouldn't. But it's a daydream, after all, so I don't have to worry about them.

Right now, I've been divesting our home of unnecessary stuff. It's slow going. It's not always easy to tell what is necessary and what isn't. 30+ mugs? Not necessary. Star Trek collectors glasses we never use? Ditto. Freecycle has been helpful. Everything I've Freecycled with the exception of my glass front cabinet has been gone within a day or two. Decluttering is addictive, frankly, and I want to do more.

Daycare drop off today was bittersweet. No tears. The Babby wiggled out of my arms while I was talking to our provider, pursed her lips for a kiss, gave me a hug, then directed her attention elsewhere. While I know that it's best for her to be comfortable enough to be ready to part ways like that, I still wish we could wake up gently in the mornings and then spend the day learning and playing together instead of apart. No tears here, either. Just what I'm thinking about right now.

P.S. - I posted my farewell post over at Manolo for the Brides and Manolo for the Home today. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but I think it was the right one for the whole BabbyFamily.

3 comments:

  1. Wow you are getting serious about decluttering. It must have been tough to let go of the other blogs. I keep reading blog posts about making dramatic moves. It seems a lot of people are ready for change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's something in the air, because I know lots of people making big changes! It's pretty weird how these things come in waves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I could never leave my kitties out of the deal. :) I know they can be taken there too, they just require a 1 month quarantine.

    Ah to daydream :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...