Friday, September 2, 2011

What Happens When You WANT to Do It All?

I'm in this weird place where I don't want to do much of anything. (Except reupholster things. Bake another vegan peanut butter cake. Paint a picture.) And then just before Labor Day weekend, lots of work rolls in that I'll have to do over the three-day weekend because it will be too hard to get to it in the following week. Now I have to decide whether to front load the work to get it over with or spread it out throughout the weekend or what.

Nuts.

DIY reupholstery

Ever read about how so many people feel pressured to do it all? Or we were all tricked into thinking we could do it all. I don't disagree that both are true, but the fact is that in my case, I want to do it all because I have to work. No choice. So trying my darndest to do it all is my little way of thumbing my nose at the fact that I can't take the Babby to the beach at 9 a.m. on a weekday or do afternoon swim lessons or roll from playdate to playdate. Or plan playdates! Or meet other moms! So if I have to work, by gum, I'm not going to let anything slide. Anything.

Not the house.

Not the food.

Not the errands or the DIY or the social engagements.

Especially not quality time with the Babby.

Because I don't want to look back at this period of my life and think, gosh, work sure did ruin that decade by making it impossible for me to do all of the things I would have done if I hadn't been working.

But then the funny thing is that I don't feel like I want to do anything or that I actually do anything... tell me, do I do things?

2 comments:

  1. i feel that way too sometimes. i love my son, but working, home life, mommying, and other things stretches me so thin. I give up a lot of me to do all the other stuff that has to be done. but I don't want to look back and realize I let time with my son slide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always struck me as a "do"-er :)

    You can sleep when you're dead, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...