Thursday, October 13, 2011

Finding Peace in a Working Mom's World

I feel like today has been a super busy day, but that I don't have a lot to show for it. 

I started a guest blog post for a friend. Emailed an editing - writing client. Scheduled some home maintenance. Worked, obviously. And worked.

What else did I do? Sadly, I got angry. I read an article about envy in the New York Times and then immediately felt a rush of envy directed outward in no discernible direction. Or maybe all directions. And I slacked a bit, too.

I had to stop and think about the church service we attended last week. I had to stop and think about finding peace. Isn't it funny how you can be busy all day and feel like you've accomplished nothing and also do just a few little things and feel like you've conquered the world? 

I don't have any answers, I'm sad to say. And there's still a lot of daylight left, though not as much as there was three weeks ago or a month before that.


finding peace

Tonight, I'm going to an event for one of my non-profit clients, which means that the afternoon daycare pick up is probably going to be a little frenzied. It's raining today, and I have no clue what the parking situation will be in the city. 

Hopefully the BabbyDaddy will enjoy the extra time he'll get to spend with the Babby today, even if it is a gray kind of day. He's been stressed out lately because of work. If it doesn't end when the upcoming trade show and product release are over, I might just have to have words with his boss.

(I'm kidding, of course. But still.)

4 comments:

  1. well, I've found that church and kids have a way of putting that envy in perspective... so I'm glad you got a little of each last weekend... Rach and I are glad simply to have your family as friends... we'll definitely be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? This makes me think about another post you did a while back about skipping holidays in a way this year. I know, this may sound random, but I've been thinking about it a lot and something just didn't sit right with me about that. I know that all people have to grieve their own way, but then again, you can do more damage than good sometimes too, even if you think you have it all figured out.

    BUT I know that I don't live in your head and I don't have it all figured out for you, but just to throw this suggestion out there:

    Why don't you find a way to serve others for Thanksgiving instead? There are probably a billion (or at least 2) ways you can do this in your community.

    Nothing helps me find peace more than doing something nice for somebody else. It makes me appreciate what I have too, even when I feel down in the dumps.

    Just throwing that out there! You can call me Pollyanna if you need too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to call you Pollyanna, hee! I think it's a great idea - in part, because it allows me to participate in the spirit of the holidays (for Christmas, for instance, I don't want to miss the Christ part, hello) without having to feel like I'm not doing it right if I can't super duper get into the swing of things. We have a food pantry in town - maybe they accept volunteers or I could do a pre-Thanksgiving drive or something. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...