Friday, October 14, 2011

Toddler Games and Other Minutia

The question: What do I find so funny about this photo?




The answer: That not only does her expression remind me of those 50s pin ups who'd look straight into the camera with a look that said "You caught me doing something naughty," but also you'll notice that the dolls she's playing with are in the buff.

Like all the dolls in the house. What is it about toddlers that makes them remove every dolls' clothes ever? I know so many families with nothing but bare babies and Barbies. Poor things, their clothing has long since disappeared. Sometimes they're swaddled in whatever passes for a blanket, but mostly they remain naked as they day they came off the production line.

It's charmingly odd. Toddler games are all innocence and silly. Nude dollies are all just dollies and it's so easy to lose all the little shirts and shoes. Oh, the shoes! I think I lost more Barbie shoes on airplanes as a child than I can remember. 

I blame Barbie, and her bizarre pointy feet.

Before you start hoping for a thoughtful conclusion, I should say that lll my rambling isn't leading anywhere in particular. Just maybe that I hope the Babby doesn't grow up too too fast so a nude dollie can be nothing more than that for lots more years.

5 comments:

  1. Totally see the pin up in this pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's adorable! My little niece is such a little poser when she sees camera,lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. P is so stinking cute!

    BTW, if you want to, you can also turn the pin-up/P thing on its head and use this as evidence that what is often considered "attractive" in adult women is actually mimickry of children...which is kind of insulting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You're in New England too?

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...