Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Being There for the Time On the Floor with Children at Play

Some day, the Babby may will look at me with the kind of disdain only pre-teens and teens can pull off, and tell me that she doesn't want to spend time with me. She'll probably tell me that she h-a-t-e-s my guts more than a few times before she's grown. The strength of her love for me now will, for some period of time, be replaced by something that to her will feel a lot like the opposite emotion.

It's not inevitable, even if I did cross out 'may' in favor of 'will,' but a lot of young folks go through a rough patch where they just don't seem to like anyone in their families. In any case, I'm not holding my breath that the Babby will be the exception.


children at play


Which is why I was happy to delay breakfast this morning to be a cat for just a little while, even if it meant that one of our real cats was on the other side of a closed door wondering why they heck we were taunting him with a bell toy. 

It's why my back yard leaves are still on the ground - every time I try to rake, the Babby wants me to stop and play. It's why I steal huggies and ask for big kisses. It's why I spend lots of time down on the floor or dressing and undressing and then redressing babies or making tiny cows eat bathmat grass and drink mama milch from the big cow. And why sometimes I don't mind going into her room in the middle of the night to rub her back or even just sit so when she looks up over and over until she falls back asleep she knows that I'm still there.

She wants to spend time with me - with me! As flawed and human and as impatient as I can be, she still loves me so darn much. It just boggles the mind!

Our time together the way it is now will be short enough as it is, and seem even shorter since she spends most of her best hours with someone else. So when she smiles and asks me to tells me to be a cat, I'm going to get down on all fours in my work clothes and be a cat.

8 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post. I love it. And it was such a great reminder, to do whats most important. :-)
    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    p.s. I'm doing a fun Kate Spade giveaway I think you might like :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I sometimes forget that, hey, TIME is the most important thing I can give my little chick. Someday she won't need me like she does now - I may as well enjoy it while I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I cried a little. These moments are so precious. I love them dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This in entirety is just so right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. Quality time is usually unscheduled and the location is usually at toddler height.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Thanks for this reminder ... it's easy to get caught up in the treading of water, and forget that this is the important stuff.

    My son is five, and has already informed me that he hates me. And looks at me with teenaged disdain. But he also comes looking for hugs and kisses, and wants me to pretend I'm at his concert while he plays flamenco air guitar. :)

    Wow, your blog is awesome. YOU are awesome. I'm so glad you came by and introduced yourself!! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, jhl, I didn't think it would start so early! But at least there is balance now - and the balance later will be (I hope) that they're growing into wonderful whole adults? Who knows!

    Thanks so much for the kind words, and for your blog :) I bookmarked the broc tomato soup recipe because I'm on a soup kick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny that you wrote about the same thing as I did today, just from the "early years" perspective! Great post. She's adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...