Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The State of Our DIY Christmas

Maybe you've noticed that my posting volume has dropped fairly dramatically this month, and you'd be right if you guessed that our DIY Christmas is the cause. That, and work and the BabbyDaddy's work and life in general, too.

December has turned out to be far busier than I expected - which is both good and bad. Bad because I thought doing a totally DIY Christmas would be easy since my work volume had been shaping up to be low. Not that I'm complaining, but it does mean certain things have fallen by the wayside. The Babby's Christmas dress springs to mind as the best example of things that aren't going to get done. Oh, well.

But a busy month as also been good, because it meant that the anniversary of my twins being declared no longer alive came and went without my having much time to work myself up into a fizz of despair. When would I have even found minutes to mourn between stamping brown-bag wrapping paper or sewing little birds or trying to figure out more zippered crafts?

DIY christmas

And the busyness continues, with the BabbyDaddy at home as I type this making sea salted caramels from scratch. In a few hours, I'll go home for lunch and cut our more birds since I changed my mind about what I will do with them and now eight is not nearly enough birds for my purposes. Immediately after work, I have to speed over to Michael's for a few last odds and ends. Mostly because our DIY Christmas experiment was an exercise in both successes and failures. Kindle covers? Not so great. Knitting? Works, but darn time consuming for the amateur. Sewing? Is all on my plate until the BabbyDaddy learns to use the machine. 

Maybe next year?

It's not all rush rush rush, I suppose, though it feels that way. Random blessings have come along - like my good friend Jess lending us her stamping gear so we could make wrapping paper... and giving me blank gift tags, too. The management company of the building I work in gave the office a chocolate stack, and I have appropriated most of the boxes so we now have packaging for the above-mentioned caramels. Various little bits of ribbon have found their way into the house, so our packaged presents should look quite festive, if not a little mismatched. But too much matchy-matchy is never good, anyway.
Now that the end of DIY Christmas is in sight, I'm hoping that January is a much more relaxed month. At least for a little bit before I start working on my 2012 business goals, which I'll talk about in another post. 

In case I don't have time to say it later:

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah 
from the BabbyFamily!

6 comments:

  1. Wow - you have been busy! And, yes, too much matchy matchy is not good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally with you on this. I've made almost all of the gifts for the family and while it has been gratifying it has also been somewhat overwhelming. I still have three more gift items to sew, plus a holiday party (at my house!!) requiring copious amounts of cooking and cleaning.

    I like all of the gifts I've made, but now, I'd really just like to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely am not a DIY Christmas type of person, but you stuff all looks so great maybe I should get into the spirit of crafting a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gift recipients are going to love their presents! Maybe I can do DIY Christmas next year if I start in July

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally a DIY girl…DIY means love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Honestly, DIY is pretty intense ... and I like your honesty about that.

    The Jolly Ranchers lift beautifully from parchment, BTW. But chopping them? Don't even get me started. :)

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...