Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When Homemade Christmas Gifts Take a Back Seat to Life

The lead up to Christmas? Intense. I'm not surprised, exactly, but I didn't foresee how much work would suddenly come my way, including amazing freelance work I had to turn down because there was no way to square it with my office job. And so my homemade Christmas gifts have been sitting, waiting for my attention. A few things have gotten done, as in all the way done.

A lot of other things still need to get finished up in, oh, a week and a half. Eep!

(Good thing I work well under pressure, since that's how I'm working at the moment.)

Things just need to stop happening. I told my coworker this morning that I'd like a half hour each day where time doesn't actually move forward so I could fit a little more in. Then the cat getting bitten wouldn't have been such a big deal and the Babby having some bedtime issues wouldn't get in the way and more of my Christmas decorations would be done.

I'm actually surrounded by half-done tasks, and that drives me nuts. Do I check them off my to-do list when I know I'm just going to have to put them back on again? 

At least I had a little fun courtesy of my lovely mom and her late-ish birthday gift of a hefty gift card, which let me go on a virtual shopping spree. For those wondering, yes, I spent it on myself - which is precisely why she sent a gift card. If you give me cash, you can be pretty sure I will apply it directly to bills.

January? ... Well, since I can't sleep through it, maybe I can coast through it. Hopefully it will be as oddly warm as December has been around here.




10 comments:

  1. I know ... I've been the same way about homemade gifts. I was completely stressed over my Sekret Exchange gift ... isn't that bizarre? Hang in there ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! True story: I haven't even started my Sekrit Exchange gift yet, eep :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shhhh.... THis post almost got me out of my Christmas denial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even bother thinking about trying to handmade anything for Christmas this year because I just don't have the time. It makes me sad though.

    I always prefer gift cards over cash because if I spend all the cash on myself and not bills etc, I feel guilty. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm claiming pregnancy fatigue this Christmas if anyone asks about gifts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathe....You'll get it all done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want that half hour of stopped time each day too! Except, really I'm greedy and want a full hour. But the important things always get done. And if homemade gifts don't get done, just save 'em for Valentines day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would work, Tricia, if I had anything other than homemade gifts to give!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate half-done items and not being able to cross things off my list. Good luck slowing down time.

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never mind half an hour -I'd like to be able to freeze time at will for as long as necessary! Good luck with getting everything finished.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...