Thursday, January 5, 2012

Almost at the End of Our Extended Rear Facing Journey

On my ride into work today, I was thinking about how the Babby is almost three, and still sits backward in our car in her Britax Marathon Classic that we bought just before going to Europe. (She sat rear facing in Europe, too.) Now that I consider it, she may actually be the only one of her compatriots who still rides rear facing.

It's a bit unusual around here to see an almost three-year-old looking out the back window instead of the front, but that's how we roll. I've written before about why I'm such a fan of extended rear facing, especially when it comes to smaller kids.

But what I was really thinking about today as I chugged along in my mom-mobile was that there's a not miniscule chance that the Babby will weigh in over the rear facing weight limit at her next pediatrician appointment.

!

It sort of blows my mind. The Babby has been, of course, rear facing in the car since she was born. (On planes, too, when she was in an infant car seat.) So the idea of her sitting forward facing once she hits 35 pounds is just... wow.

Honestly, I would love to practice extended extended rear facing, but I don't think it's going to happen. Bottom line: We can't afford yet another rear facing car seat with a higher weight limit so she can stay rear facing longer. Unless someone wants to give us a seat to review, hint hint

And I guess I should start getting used to the idea that my little chick isn't a baby or even a toddler anymore. She is a cool little kid now, and in a month or so we'll find out if she's of a size to start enjoying the front facing view.

extended rear facing

How about the other parents of wee ones out there... how long did your kiddos sit rear facing in their car seats? When did you make the switch, and why? Or are they still sitting rear facing at 3 or even beyond?

13 comments:

  1. Trajan's turning around is a dark, shameful secret that I try not to talk about. We went to the Virgin Islands when he turned 9 months old and despite a reservation for a rear facing car seat, all they had was a forward facing. As the top speed limit was 30 or 35 and we were not doing much driving, we decided to just roll with it.

    Then we got back home and put him back into his rear-facing carseat. Oh the screaming. And this is from a seriously easy-going child. We mentioned this to his pediatrician at around 10 or 11 months (note: not even one) and he said since he was so big and met all the weight/height requirements, we could go ahead and turn him around.

    The guilt didn't hit until like a year later when I got informed. Not only that, but he's actually in a booster a fair bit of the time currently instead of his five-point harness and this also makes me feel incompetent and crazy. It was a similar case that he rode in one, liked it and we were dumb at the time.

    As a result, Chiron and these potential two more shall be rear-facing until they max out whatever most extended (is it Britax these days) carseat I can find on the US market...

    At least they'll have each other to amuse themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it happens. I know a couple of early turners who said it was turn or drive with constant screaming, every trip!

    As for today's top extended rear facing car seats, there are some new ones (not Britax, IIRC) that go up really dang high in terms of weight. Sunshine Kids Radian (45 pounds)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunshine Kids Radians will also fit three across rear-facing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a Britax Boulevard that can go rear facing to 40 pounds. At 19 months, my twins are in the 21-23 pound range. We have plenty more time for rear facing. At three, though, I would say you did do extended rear facing. I know folks who turned their kids around at one year, even after the new guidelines came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always waited for one year and 20 pounds (both), which usually happened a little after a year for my kids, some a little longer. I have really never heard of anything else until now and I honestly don't live under a rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter sat front facing once she turned one. I don't see how she would've fit comfortably in our car rear facing after that point because she was getting so tall. I'll have to read more about your thoughts on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Emily At three, and none too short, the Babby sits rear facing comfortably - at least she's never complained and seems happy enough during long car trips! usually she's cross legged or has her legs every which way :) A lot of people worry about what would happen to legs in an accident, but IIRC there have been few to no cases of kids getting broken legs in crashes when sitting rfing. From what I've read, every change leaves kids less safe. Infant seats facing backward are the safest, covertible seats rfing slightly less so, forward facing is slightly less safe, and onto boosters, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. humorously enough, Elijah sat forward-facing for a long, long time (I feel like it's been since 18 months, but Rachel--my wife-- would know exactly) before we turned him around to sit rear-facing going to Delaware and back because it was the only way we could make the two car seats we have work in the rental car... he seemed to really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long time for me, but I think we're turned our girls around when they were 2. I'm visiting from SITS...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son will be 3 in june(2013) and is still happily rear facing. I've talked with my husband about turning him on his third birthday but I feel so guilty, like he's too small to forward face yet. He's still well under the weight limit, about 20lbs under actually so I could go till he's about 5/6 with weight as he's small and doesn't gain much, 3 is an amazing accomplishment for extended rear facing so if we only make it that far then I'll put on my happy face and jump into my new adventure of extended harnessing till he grows out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The P. is actually now just set to turn 4 and STILL rf'ing!

      Delete
  11. 4.5 is my goal. And about to turn four?!? I'm a year behind in reading, need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not like you didn't have anything else going on on, right? ;) Hope you're doing great! I've missed your blogging!!

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...