Monday, April 2, 2012

We All Knew Summer in March Couldn't Last

I haven't posted recently, I know. Work has been a killer, but it's not so much about that as it is that I haven't taken any of the pictures of the camera in, oh, forever. Maybe I'm alone in this, but unless there is something major going on in my life (that I'm ready to share) my newest crop of photographs often provides the inspiration for my posts.

Like: What we did on any given day or weekend. The obsessions of three year olds. Our family outings. And so on.

In fact, the last pictures I posted online are from when the thermometer read 80 and we all thought summer had come early round these parts.



But summer fled as quickly as it had come, leaving behind the typical March weather - and now the typical April weather. Which isn't sunny or warm. The wintery coats I hung up when we were all wearing short sleeves have come back out. And I'm wearing boots inside.

This weather is a good metaphor for life - at least for us pessimists. The good news is often followed by the bad, so fast that you have to sit down or risk falling over. But in this case, I know that spring will eventually come, followed by another summer. Mentally, I'm very much in tune with the weather at the moment. Today we find out whether the sun will keep shining for the time being or whether we'll be living in shadow again for a little while.

It's times like this that I wish I could change my pessimistic nature. I assume rain is coming, not sunshine.

Maybe I need help... have any of you managed to change your whole outlook? How did you do it? How long did it take?

 

6 comments:

  1. These are the exact reason I am glad that I have a wonderful therapist that I make time for. It's an integral part of striving to maintain any semblance of sanity and control in my life. I highly recommend therapy, especially for parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do miss the 80 degree weather. We went to the park a lot when it was nice a few weeks ago. We're heading out for a walk in a few minutes. I'll be wearing a hat & gloves (no, it's not really that bad out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only just now starting to warm up again!

      Delete
  3. I lived in Germany for 3 years and I about died -- too cold and totally not enough sunshine. I was so thankful to get back to south Texas where God put me for a reason. Lots of sun and warm weather. Hang in there - summer is coming!

    http://www.positivelyalene.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, when I lived in Berlin, the weather didn't bother me because, hey, I was in Berlin! Here, though? Ugh, I don't know how my husband convinced me to stay in the cold north!

      Delete
  4. oh dear. I am a pessimist with optimistic tendencies. I relate more to the dark side of things, I have to admit; yet I think that there is a balance and grace to life that pervades overall.

    your post made me laugh with recognition though--I was all over that summer isn't going to last thing! sheesh. it is usually the negative and the ironic that make me laugh. That's not bad, right?

    thanks for dropping by my blog! nice to meet.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...