Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The New Hairpin Leg Bench Plus Life Lately

A while back, I hinted at a project I was working on in advance of my Aunt and Dad+wife both coming to visit. The thing is that up until recently, we've only had seating for three around the kitchen table. And no dining room. Dinner parties with other families usually involved the kids at the table and the adults standing around - or even sitting on the floor. Sometimes we'd take it outside, weather permitting.

We're a casual family, which you already know if you've ever stopped by. Toys are seldom out of sight. We drink wine out of jelly jars - two reasons: the very nice wine glasses are on a high shelf and I think it's rustic chic. I may be wearing sweats if you stop by without advanced warning. There are computers everywhere. Heck, we even knowingly bought a house with no dining room. 

But even though I don't mind making my friends sit on the floor - sorry, friends - it felt weird to not have enough room at the table to host family properly. Thus plans to make my own hairpin bench were born. One discount remainder board later ($2.65) and four hairpin legs from Hairpinlegs.com, plus paint and supplies from other projects and some serious elbow grease provided by the BabbyDaddy, and my new bench was born.


hairpin leg bench


I'm pleased to say that it's not only level, but also fits snugly under the table with enough room to push our three chairs (two grownup chairs and the Tripp Trapp) neatly into place. It also allowed us to host the aforementioned family visitors for home cooked meals without anyone having to sit in the living room or outdoors or on the floor. I'm pretty proud of myself. What do you think?

Oh, and just a few other things while we're on the subject of life lately:

The other day, we had non-family guests over for dinner - where my new hairpin leg bench let us all sit around the table together! - and the P. ate a tablespoon of straight Romano cheese. I was convinced she would spit it out, but no. She swallowed it with a smile. Is that weird?

Getting dressed for work this morning was definitely a new experience. With most of my work clothes being either form-fitting or sweaters, I was picking through my closet for a while to find something that looked like my normal office uniform but didn't emphasize my newly rotund middle.  

A middle that I think is just breakfast but certain parties are utterly convinced I'm showing.

Our trio might go to Costa Rica at the end of August if we get the okay to fly from my midwives. It's a maybe because P. was born a month and a half early about five days after I got back from a trip to Madrid - and that trip to Madrid happened five days after a trip to Florida.

Hope you're having a great day!

12 comments:

  1. Oh I like your bench! Your cabinets are pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trish! I don't know why, but our cabinets always turn out blue looking in pictures when they're really a quite striking purple.

      Delete
  2. How did I not see that? Must tuck nicely under the table. Very cool, guys! I need to get on some home improvement projects. In all my spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does tuck right up under the table!

      Spare time? What's that?!

      Delete
  3. The bench is a great idea! We have a miniscule house with a dining "area" off of the galley kitchen. A bench is a great idea. The color is totally fab as well. It would never occur to me to make it short enough to be able to be stored under the table, brilliant. I think we may have to think about making one too. What part was the elbow greasy part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super easy to put together from start to finish, with the exception of poor Tedd having to struggle with the screws a bit because this was a hard piece of wood (he was out on the deck cussin' some while turning those screws, heh, which was the elbow greasy part). I definitely recommend it as some extra seating for guests. Or a foot rest while blogging - my feet are on it right now!

      Delete
  4. Lots of elbow grease! Wonderfully useful bench. Glad I got to use it. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh right, you were here for the elbow greasy part! I'm glad you got to use it, too. Hope you get to use it again soon!!

      Delete
  5. What a great-looking bench! So glad you were able to host your family properly. I just stopped by from SITS to say hello; hope you find time to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed by your DIY skillz! When are you planning to give notice about the bundle at work? I was out of work with my first so never got the chance to have that "talk" with my boss. I've always wondered what it was like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet! I was a full time freelancer with P. so it wasn't a big deal. I've never done it before and have NO idea how! :/

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...