Monday, September 17, 2012

Preparing for a Baby, BabbyMama Style

Today, we bought a crib for the Passenger. I can't tell if I'm jumping the gun or incredibly behind with regard to preparing for a baby, considering that there are eight weeks to go until my due date but just three weeks to go until I get to where I was in my pregnancy when P. was born. In any case, we opted for the same 3-in-1 crib (in black) and organic mattress P. still uses because we know they're sturdy. And they'd better be! It's kind of funny - and jarring - to remember how much something cost after not thinking about the price for three years.

But other than the crib and the mattress, the only thing I've done to prepare for this baby is wash all the baby clothes. And pull out the white onesies in the hope that maybe the BabbyDaddy and I will find the time to decorate them. I also made a list of things I'd like to have done in the next two months - like make a height board and chalkboard wall for the Passenger, find a dresser and paint in black, finish refinishing the kitchen table, etc. - and I've certainly amassed quite the nursery wish list should anyone decide they'd like to buy this baby a little present.

baby boy nursery gray orange

For example, I'm in love with this mobile. And this rug would be sweet! Build a storage grid with these. The BabbyDaddy wouldn't say no to this glider rocker. Or this as the slightly less expensive alternative. And I'd spruce it up with this. Of course, all of this pre-baby window shopping is dependent on money - and we'd rather spend our savings on maternity leave and paternity leave - so I've been poking around Craigslist and telling myself that it'll be more fun to take my time preparing the Passenger's room than having it all set up at once.

After all, the long-term approach worked out fine when it came to P.'s room, and Passenger won't give a fig about whether he even has a room for quite a while yet.

How about you? Did you have a nursery all set up and ready to go in advance of your babies' arrivals?

10 comments:

  1. We had the nursery all ready to go. We were well prepared at home. Too bad we were 100% not prepared to have our twins in the NICU for 6 weeks. If/when we have another baby, I will be much more focused on having a healthy pregnancy, and enjoying everyday of carrying the baby, and much less focused on the stuff part of the process. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping to avoid the NICU this time around - I mean when it comes right down to it. But at the same time, we had P. in our room for so long and so we're wondering how much work we really *need* to. As in, if we don't *need* to do it, why stress ourselves (me, really) out now?

      Delete
  2. We were stuck at mike's parents house until Nathan was 3 months old because of construction! And their house is well, cluttered, so we were in one small room on a foldout couch.

    But after that, I did the nursery in (cheap) style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan co-slept for a pretty long while, though, right?

      Delete
  3. We did tons of work on Cad's room when he was still in utero, and it was ready for him when we came home from the hospital. He literally moved in there on Saturday...almost 3 and half years later. I guess we were well ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird - a nursery wasn't an issue with P. because she stayed in our room (which became her room) for her first year and I think that was always our intention. I guess we were in the same boat, just on a more abbreviated schedule :) With this guy, though, we're not sure if rooming in will be what's right for us and for him and for P., too, so it feels so up in the air!

      Delete
  4. Can I say I just loved reading this post filled with hope, light and love. I also love the nursery colors! I definitely went all out with nursery #1. By #2, I focused on what was really necessary and then tried to win everything else in giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, by baby 2 we were just as relaxed! And good thing, because by the time he gets here you end up changing your mind a dozen times about what works and what doesn't depending on how he sleeps! Like during the day you might want him near by while you focus on the older one so it helped us to have a moses basket but ours grew right out of that in 2 months so not sure it was worth it, plus I was always in a panic that the older sister might grab a handle and pull the baby off the table to see him. So yeah, it's fun to window shop before the baby gets here but I probably spent more after they get here on Amazon.com while nursing. They have this awesome 3 month trial period for mom's that gives you free shipping, it's a little addictive. Anyway, I'm babbling on and on. I'll close by saying I wish you the best with the end of your pregnancy. Oh, and my 2nd went FULL TERM after the first was born at 35 weeks. Drove me insane because every day was like - is today the day??? My advise is to relax - don't run to the hospital for every little thing (I did twice). They come when they are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're co-sleeping, so the only thing we did was put together a dresser with a changing pad on top in our room. It did require moving one of our dressers out, but not much work otherwise. I have no idea where we're gonna put this kid when she's ready for her own bed.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...