Monday, October 29, 2012

Observations on Labor & Delivery and Having a Baby, the Second Time Around

Hey, bloggy friends! Those of you not connected to me on Facebook or in real life may have been wondering where I got to since my last post very specifically said that no baby was on the way. And yet three days after writing that post, we met:
labor and delivery

Hunter Stuart Antonio
Born at 4:31 a.m. on October 24
Weight: 6 lbs. Length: 18 in.

I'm a little busy at the moment trying to balance the baby, the P., the house, and my own self care, but I figure I'll be doing a full birth story post sometime soon. Luckily, H. is a quiet little guy and P. has been absolutely gorgeous with him - she says he's cuter than a baby hedgehog and we agree - so I was able to get some last-minute organization done after we were discharged from maternity. In the meantime, here are some thoughts on labor and delivery and everything that follows:

  • After my water broke, I had some time to kill before having to meet the midwife at the birth center so I blew out my hair and put on a little mascara. Then after that appointment, we came home and had egg and cheese sandwiches and some coffee. THEN I packed a hospital bag.
  • Since my water didn't break spontaneously with P. and I delivered so soon after the midwife popped the bag, I had no idea that amniotic fluid is continually produced after one's water does break. I spent 17 hours just gushing. And hydrating. And gushing. And hydrating. 
  • Speaking of those 17 hours, they were the hours spent in l&d NOT contracting and instead watching Star Trek movies and ordering room service and eating large chocolate and peanut butter Dairy Queen Blizzards. 
  • Labor kicked into high gear at around 1 a.m. Instead of immediately calling the mister I thought, oh, let him sleep, and poked around Reddit and Metafilter, took some self portraits, bounced on a birthing ball, and walked the hospital halls - giving myself wrongly gendered pep talks a la "Be a man, Christa. Man the heck up."
  • I finally called the mister at about 3 a.m. He didn't pick up the house phone OR his cell phone. Oddly, I didn't get angry.
  • My mom attended the actual delivery. Just before the pain started to get really intense, I told the mister to call her. When he asked me if I'd want her in the room or whether he ought to corral her in the waiting area, I told him that I both wanted her in the room and to stay the heck out.
  • During the pushing phase, the nurse was practically losing her you-know-what because with each push I said (in my deepest demon voice) "Get out, baby! You need to get out! Baby, get oooouuuuuuuuuuuut!"
  • H.'s Apgars were 9 and 9. Go, boy, go! Then after some initial assessment, he latched right on. And incidentally, it feels like he hasn't stopped with the boob munching since. 
  • Both labor and delivery and the maternity floor were full. As in every room full - so much that the two double rooms in maternity were full and the overflow rooms were in use and they were even talking about having to send people to alternate hospitals to stay in compliance with labor (ha ha) laws. We almost had to share, but then two besties had their babies at the same time and requested the double suite.
  • I made it through another pregnancy without a stretch mark (though with quite a bit more weight gain). I know it's absolutely vain to even think about that sort of thing after having birthed out a healthy baby, but I can't say I don't care because in all honesty I just plain do. 
  • Not having stitches means not having to deal with the whole squirt bottle thing after about a day. Which was nice considering I couldn't get the sink faucet in my hospital room to give me anything but frigid water.
  • It's just amazing how they let you take the baby home with you after a couple of days of pretty basic monitoring. Heartbeat? Check. Blood sugar okay? Check. Eating? Check. Fabulous, here is your 5 lb. 11 oz. bundle of needs. Now get out.
  • And, most importantly, I guess my body just evicts babies early. We were all wondering if I'd be the sort of mama that goes over her due date after having a relatively late term preemie but it turns out I'm the kind of mama who misses out on those last few weeks of fetal percolation.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! He is so very handsome and my goodness, you deserved an easy labor & delivery. I'm so glad you got one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All told, the real part took just about exactly as long as it did with P.: 3.5 hours. The pushing part was a little longer, the intense part was a little easier to handle. Win!

      Delete
  2. PS: Pea wants to know if he is going to be a hunter. I said no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Congratulations, and welcome Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new bundle! Unfortunately I had another c-section so my recovery time was/is longer and that can be frustrating....Have fun navigating the world of TWO kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah!!! Babby is here!!! So cute. Hope you are feeling okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, thanks! Recovery has been awesomely quick this go around :)

      Delete
  6. OMG! He is stunning (and you are looking lovely mama...I dig the sequin headband)! Your recap is hilarious. I am so happy for your clan. I look forward to reading all about your adventures in parenting a pair. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened 9 months ago? My SIL just had a baby and the hospital was jammed too! Crazy.

    PS, I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...