Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15 Is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day

Did you know that today is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day? Maybe you haven't heard of it - I know it wasn't on my radar until after my miscarriage. But it's an important day dealing with an important subject, especially when you consider how many women suffer from miscarriages and stillbirths, and how many families cope with infant death due to prematurity and other causes.

Here is some quick background on the history of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day:
The Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Movement began in the United States on October 25, 1988 when President Ronald Reagan designated the month of October 1988 as Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month. The October 15th Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day campaign began in 2002... started by Robyn Bear, Lisa Brown, and Tammy Novak. Together, they petitioned the federal government, as well as the governors of each of the 50 states, and as a result of their efforts, Concurrent Resolution H. CON. RES. 222 Supporting the goals and ideals of National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day was passed in the House of Representatives. To date, all 50 States have yearly proclamations.
Women and families mark the day in different ways. I thought about going ahead with the suggested 7 p.m. candle lighting, but I since I have this platform it seemed more fitting to take a moment to share some of my story once again.
My hope is that by linking up some of my older posts dealing with my own pregnancy loss, other women suffering through miscarriages and searching for personal stories will find their way here. If that's how you found your way to this post, my email address is in the lefthand sidebar up top and I want you to feel free to email me if you need someone to talk to. Someone who's been there. When I miscarried, I was lucky enough to have a big group of women friends who openly revealed their own losses, but I know not everyone does. So like I said, on Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day or any day of the year, feel free to get in touch if you're hurting.

 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Christa ... for being open, and for being willing to put yourself out here so that others might feel less alone.

    Thinking of you today, and sending love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware of this day and thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...