Monday, December 10, 2012

Owl Crafts for Christmas (or Otherwise)

In an effort to reduce the amount of screentime P. has, we instituted a no movies or TV policy on weekdays. She's been pretty good about accepting that Netflix is off limits for most of the week, but it has meant that I'm suddenly on the hook for hours and hours of entertainment.

Crafts seemed like the obvious answer since that chick? Is not primo at playing solo. Unfortunately, this chick is usually more interested in grownup crafts than crafts for kids. So I went looking for goal-oriented activities involving glue and paint and markers and stickers and... toilet paper tubes? Why not! If there's anything the modern family has an unending supply of, it's toilet paper tubes.

Now, I'm sure there's plenty of things you can do with them - the faux wrought iron lattice comes to mind - but toilet paper owls are a lot easier for little hands to handle and they're frankly more festive than the aforementioned lattice.

toilet paper owls christmas crafts

Fold over the top, draw on your owl's features or have the kiddos do it, hand them off to be colored, and *bam* you have killed an hour sans screen.

Of course, being that it's December, we also decided to let P. paint mugs for prezzies. The mug below is one of mine - I liked the owls so much that MOER OWLS was the obvious choice for my personal mug (which I swear looks better in person).

owl mugs christmas crafts

P. covered hers in monsters and zombies, and those I can't show you because they're all for family presents. I sure hope monsters and zombies are a hit with the 50+ set!

What Christmas crafts have your kiddos been working on this December?

P.S. - I feel like I should put a public service announcement here and say that whole trendy 'paint on mugs with Sharpie and bake them' thing is mostly is mostly a recipe for a big holiday fail. I say mostly because supposedly some people have had luck with that method, but a quick Google search finds many more who were totally sad to see their pretty designs fade away with the first gentle hand wash. So do yourself a solid and grab some legit glass and ceramic markers or paints so you don't have to experience the same sadness.

8 comments:

  1. Totally stealing that owl TP roll trick. Like, right now. Mine doesn't play well solo, either. "Mama, LOOK!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a hit, time to start saving all your TP rolls!

      Delete
  2. where did you get the mugs, is it like a special marker that won't wash off? what an awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mugs are from Target online - they're on sale for about $1 each. And the glass/ceramics markers are from Micahel's. They go on, dry for 4 hours, then bake for 45 min. Dishwasher safe, yo!

      Delete
    2. Huh, I should take a look at thrift shops for blank mugs when I'm there! What a cool idea.

      Delete
  3. TP roll owls for all!
    Thanks for the tip about the Sharpie vs, Ceramic markers. I was wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we ended up researching other people's results first because we were gung-ho to try it.

      Delete
  4. I know what we'll be doing for this Friday's homeschool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...