Thursday, December 27, 2012

Rainy Day Cupcakes and Freezing Fingers

This week has pretty much been a playfest for me and the littles. This is weird, at least for yours truly, since it's pretty out of the ordinary for me to have no work at all. And nothing else on my to-do list. I could be working on PR materials for Mom Meet Mom or writing client blogs, sure. I have big plans for the half-finished kitchen table. The floors are in desperate need of a mop. In other words, there is no shortage of stuff to do 'round here.

But P. is home with me for the remainder of the year so I purposefully put away the ever-present to-do list. Partly by choice and partly by chance, I didn't promise anyone anything for this week or the next. There are no appointments to get to on time or projects that need finishing up in a timely fashion. Though a small part of my brain is actually stressing out because I have not overscheduled myself as is typical, I'm having a lot of fun.

Having all this time at my disposal meant that when P. asked to make cupcakes today, it wasn't the usual slapdash affair. We made the cake together from start to finish - she even helped read the recipe card. The chocolate icing was her idea, and I went crazy with the chocolate. And then we rolled and cut out fondant decorations using the new cookie cutters I got for Christmas.

baking with children

And then just because we are crazy like that, we decided to go outside in the freezing rain. Seriously, freezing. (I have this thing about getting fresh air at least once a day, no matter what the temperature. When I'm working full time, rain and cold winds are typically a turn off, but when I'm home I feel like bundling up in rain gear is NBD.)

rainy day fun

Our enthusiasm for the day's outdoor adventure lasted for one lap around the block - mainly because the wind picked up and the rain started falling harder and fingers got chilly and there was a surprising lack of puddles in our neighborhood. Still, fresh air!

I'm loving this. Really loving it. The one downside is that all this weekday fun is really driving home the fact that I don't get to enjoy the P.'s best hours five days out of seven. I'd actually started thinking of P. as kind of a cranky kid recently. But she's not a cranky kid. She's just kind of cranky at 4 p.m. after a long day out interacting with other people - just like her mama. At home with me, she's been enthusiastic and engaged and open to trying new things. Heck, she's been open to taking an umbrella out in the freezing rain to look for rocks, just because I suggested it. Now I'm kicking around all kinds of ideas in my head again, like starting an in-home preschool for a small group of kids or... well, I don't know.

I guess you could call this week kind of bittersweet? Mostly sweet, for sure, but still a tad bitter.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like it was a perfect day. I can understand what you mean about P being cranky at 4pm. My nephew is no fun when we pick him up from pre-school either. He is not just cranky. He is a bloody nightmare. But spending a couple days with him over the holidays has been special. Good times!!! Those cupcakes - yeah, just put a couple in a special box and ship them to me, please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was just like I remembered things being before I went back to work full time! Such a sweet thing to be able to really play without worrying about tantrums. We get a few nightmare days around here, too.

      Delete
  2. Isn't great to see your kid in all their fun-ness?! I swear this past week has been the most fun I've had with mine in a looong time and it's because we're together all day, not just the post school rush of dinner, bath and bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could stop time and enjoy the stress-free uncommitted days a little longer. But then comes school and some of these kids are total social butterflies and there are dance classes. We all need to unwind most days!

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...