Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Only New Year's Resolution I'll Make

Every year, I like to read about the new year's resolutions other people are making - and then follow their progress. And every year, I make the conscious decision not to make any resolutions of my own. It would be so easy. I'd like to lose some weight, for starters. Really make an effort to get a new batch of loyal freelance clients. Spend more time working on my memoir. Sew more. There are lots of things I could set as resolutions for 2013, but I won't.

My only resolution for 2013 will be to have as much fun as I had in 2012.

2012 was the first year I actually followed through on community events like the fairy tea and the huge church-sponsored Easter egg hunt and the hayride with Santa.

new year's resolutions

It was also the first year that the mister and I had a vacation that wasn't tied to a family obligation. We added new stamps to our passports. P. started taking ballet and tap classes. In the fall, we made leaf piles for jumping and went to the fair. P. went to Story Land for the first time. In the summer, we went to the beach and the park and the zoo and picked raspberries out in the backyard. We hosted lots of friends and family. We had parties.

And of course, H. was conceived and born - though there are noooo plans to relive that experience any time soon or ever.

As years go, it was a stressful one in some respects. I once again failed to reach my goal of quitting my day job. But it was also so much fun. Deliberately fun because I sought out the kind of experiences I wanted to have and made sure I had my family by my side. That's what I want to do - to keep doing - in 2013 and then 2014 and every year after that.  

Do you make New Year's resolutions? Studies show that 88% of resolution makers break them. How's your track record of keeping them?

6 comments:

  1. I don't make resolutions either, but I will co-sign on having more fun in the coming months. Here's to health and happiness in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now we can be accountable to each other. Fun in 2013!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh that's a good one, and one I'd be happy to join in as well. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea...realistic and so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But now always easy since life gets in the way. We're trying, though!

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...