Friday, January 18, 2013

Vegan Double Chocolate Cupcakes That'll Knock Your Socks Off

When the lovely Sheri over at Donuts, Dresses and Dirt announced she was dairy free for January, I was sympathetic. Even if her experiment in giving up dairy has a clear end date and mine doesn't. So when she asked me to share my vegan double chocolate cupcake recipe, I naturally said I would. Us abstemious dairy-free folks deserve chocolate, too, right?

Mine is an easy recipe. These vegan chocolate cupcakes are easy enough to make with the "help" of a three-year-old when there's a baby nearby. Even during the holidays!

vegan chocolate cupcakes

P. and I made them during her school vacation, just for the heck of it. Do you really need an excuse for double chocolate cupcakes? No. The answer to that question is no. Especially when you probably have everything you need (save perhaps the vegan butter) to follow the two recipes below right now!
One Dozen Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 1.5 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 5 tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • .5 tsp. salt
  • 5 tbsp. veggie oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tbsp. white vinegar
  • 1 c. cold coffee (or water)
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350F
Step 2: Whisk the dry ingredients together - you don't need to sift when you can just whisk!
Step 3: Mix up the wet ingredients
Step 4: Combine them gently. Don't worry too much about overmixing; just make sure the lumps are gone
Step 5: Bake until done.
No joke,that's what my recipe card says. In a round cake pan - this makes one layer, by the way - I'd give it, eh, a half hour before poking it with a skewer? For cupcakes, I'd check them after maybe 15 minutes. When I'm baking cupcakes, vegan or otherwise, I have a tendency to monitor the goings-on closely. So I guess what you want to do is watch these babies like a hawk. When the tops are rounded and look dry, they may be done!

Once they're cool, you can top them with this:
More Vegan Double Chocolate Frosting Than You Really Need
  • 1 c. vegan "butter"
  • 1 c. shortening
  • A whole bag of dairy-free chocolate chips
  • A splash of vanilla
  • 2+ c. powdered sugar
  • 3 tsp. cocoa powder
Step 1: Cream "butter" and shortening in stand mixer
Step 2: Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave if you have one (we don't) and let cool
Step 3: Add chocolate and vanilla to the shortening mixture and keep it whipping
Step 4: Add cocoa powder
Step 5: Add sugar
Step 6: Keep it whipping until it's fluffy fluffy fluffy
Now in case it wasn't obvious from the addendum above, I'm a very lazy baker so the quantities above are just guesses as to what I throw in. Typically I don't measure the butter or shortening; I just scoop it out and eyeball it. And sugar-wise, I toss in the 2 cups, taste, and decide if I want it sweeter before adding more. You may have noticed also that there's no soy or almond milk thinning it out - this recipe could properly be called hard sauce but no one says that anymore. Feel free to thin it out or keep it thick like I like it.

And that's it! Gorgeous double chocolate cupcakes that are also vegan that you can put together in an hour. Sheri, if you make them, tell me how they turn out!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe (and shout out!) - posted the link on my blog today and can't WAIT to make these!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...