Friday, February 1, 2013

Emily from The Busy Mom's Diet Talks Cloth Diapering

Hi! I'm Emily from TheBusyMomsDiet.com. I'm so excited to be today's guest blogger at HowBabbyFormed! I'm a full-time teacher, mama, blogger, runner and wife. I blog about healthy recipes, fitness tips, weekly weigh-ins and all things fabulous in the world of a busy mom. You can subscribe to my blog or follow me on facebook, twitter, or pinterest if you're into that kind of thing.

Cloth Diaper Review

Today, I want to talk about why I chose to use cloth diapers for my son Miles. We have been using cloth diapers part time for 19 months now. The reason we are part timers is that my mother-in-law watches Miles during the day while I am teaching and she prefers to use disposables so we use cloth at home and disposable at grandma's house. For a full review of several cloth diaper brands, video tutorial, and more info, check out my cloth diaper tutorial.

Here are the top 5 reasons I chose cloth:

1. Less $$$: The average cloth diaper user spends $600 versus the $2500 that the average disposable diaper user spends. The money we save is super helpful on this school teacher's salary!

2. Less Chemicals: There are a ton of chemicals in disposable diapers that have been linked to rashes and other health concerns. I'm not super paranoid about this, but I say, the less chemicals on his delicate baby skin the better right?!?

3. Less Environmental Impact: Americans use 18 billion disposable diapers per year, which each take 500 years to biodegrade. Whenever possible, I want to be a good steward of our environment and so if using cloth diapers can reduce our footprint, I'm in!

4. Less Potty Training: We cannot vouch for this personally yet, but cloth diaper users across the internet say that it is easier to potty train a cloth diaper baby earlier since the cloth does not wick away the wetness, which helps them get a better sense of when they need to go.

5. More Cuteness: I mean...right?!?! They are too cute for words. I especially like the designer series from BumGenius.

Cloth Diapers Collage

My Advice, Tips, and Tricks:

1. Laundering is not that bad. I know, for me, that was one of the biggest concerns. Baby poop from a breast milk fed baby is totally water soluble and comes out so easy! Using a flushable liner makes post breast milk poop a breeze to clean up without soaking or rinsing. The only trick is finding the right approved detergent for your brand of diapers.

2. Strip the diapers every few months. Even with proper laundering, I strip my diapers every few months to keep them at their maximum absorption. Here is my post about how to strip cloth diapers.

3. Use hemp liners for nighttime. We double stuff our cloth diapers with one regular liner and one hemp liner and we hardly ever have a leak even when he sleeps 12+ hours.

Thank you so much for letting me be a part of the HowBabbyFormed community! I can't wait to read your comments ;)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! When we have kids I definitely want to use cloth diapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome from both me and Emily! It really is not too much trouble with today's modern cloth diapers, which have tabs that open and close easily just like disposables!

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...