Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mais les yeux sont aveugles. Il faut chercher avec le cœur.

P. broke my glasses. My prescription sunglasses, to be specific. It was an accident, of course. These glasses have a sort of hole just at the hinge and said hole is perfectly sized to receive pokey four-year-old fingers. Her finger actually got stuck for a while - I only know this because I heard a spontaneous "Mama, I am so so so so sorry" coming from the kitchen.

Quick question: Does your child apologize for small things with the kind of fervor most of us would reserve for accidentally flat tiring the president of the United States? The way she says she's sorry... you'd think I beat her.

Loosing the finger from its hinged prison took some degree of yanking, during the course of which one of the totally-not-regulation-size hinge screws flew off into nowheresville rendering my prescription sunglasses less than suitable for daily wear. Now, perhaps you don't know that I wear corrective lenses. Mostly because I usually don't wear them. Inside my house, which as you know from my recent house tour, is far from cavernous, nothing is far enough away to render me blind.

In the outside world, however, it becomes clear how compromised my vision actually is. For something like two week's now I've been stumbling through life wearing a pair of the mister's counterfeit Ray-Ban Wayfarers.

ray-ban wayfarers

(Which is actually kind of painful because I would love a pair of black Wayfarer Squares but can't justify spending $250 on sunglasses when I'm fairly hooked up in that regard and know I could get gorgeous prescription sunglasses for a lot less. Doh.)

Anyway, for me - someone with so-so vision that's never been entirely terrible - this whole not being able to see business is horribly disorienting. I was starting to be afraid I was going to clip a pedestrian while driving. People's faces weren't resolving into, well, faces, making our recent trip to the sheep shearing festival fairly unnerving. Imagine being surrounded by hundreds of pod people.

I finally couldn't take it anymore and brought my sunglasses to the closest eyeglasses shop and begged them for a screw, which they sweetly gave me for free. Because how do you even charge for something like that? It took just a moment, but in that moment the world came back into focus for me.

prescription sunglasses

And now I'm back in action, and thank goodness. As wonderful as it is now and then to see with le cœur, sometimes... maybe most of the time... I really need to see with les yeux.

6 comments:

  1. Have you checked out Zenni Optical? It's another online glasses place. My sister got some excellent frames, and now everyone I know is hooked. You can get Wayfarer-type frames for under $20. Ted got some argyle frames for about $12... you can go a little nuts and buy a few pairs when they're so cheap. I've had my current glasses for 4 years with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that and Firmoo are my next stops because I can't go through this again if I lose another screw. I swear, it was one of the most disorienting experiences of my life. I need more scrip sunglasses.

      Delete
    2. I hear that. I've been wanting to get an extra pair to leave in the car.

      Delete
  2. I, too, use Zenni and love them. Also, goggles4u.com has been a godsend for great glasses at an unbelievably low price. And if you don't mind spending a bit more, warbyparker.com has some nerd-chic wonderful options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once bought a pair of Juicy sunglasses for $150 in my LB4K, they were half off but that is still a lot of money in my book for a fashion accessory. they broke in half on vacation. I only had them for six months. I said never again. I have $20 sunglasses that have lasted longer

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...