Sunday, May 12, 2013

To Moms: Remember, You've Been Given a Gift

Yesterday, one of my Mom Meet Mom co-founders and I were at the Boston March for Babies to meet moms and spread the word about how we'll be opening the site to Boston-area moms... maybe today. Here's me and Bo at the Hatch Shell, ready to set up our table - which turns out is not so easy when you're babywearing.

mom meet mom

Once Meg arrived, things went a lot more smoothly. Don't you just love our duckies?

moms meet

The best part of the event was getting to talk to moms (and dads) who were so proud of their amazing miracles!

These are parents who were dealt a heavy hand. Babies born at 23 and 24 and 28 and 31 weeks along who spent weeks or months in the hospital before ever breathing fresh air, but they did. It just took some time. Maybe now they wear glasses or don't talk much yet or maybe they have a long road ahead with CP or some other challenge, but they came home.

Not every preemie does. Not every baby does.

Later that night, after P.'s story and second story and her song, she called out from behind her bedroom door for this and that toy. None of which we could find, and she ought to have long since been asleep anyway. Then she called out and when I asked what could possibly be the matter now, she said "I was just wondering if someone wanted to cuddle with me." And yes, I did, even though it was after 9 p.m., because life is precious and the privileges that come with being a mom are some of the best gifts I've ever received.

Happy Mother's Day. Make it a special one.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to handle our gifts with care. Happy Mother's Day! I hope you are celebrating your awesomeness with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, beautiful lady!

      It's pretty rainy here so my plans for planting the garden have fallen through. I think we're going to watch movies and have an inside picnic!

      Delete
  2. I love your words, Christa, and - although I never ever celebrate my own mother's day - because I expect to be respected and loved every day and that it might be possible to respect and love me, too - I wish all of you courageful mothers (and fathers) all the best!
    And: there is a German saying: Feste muss man feiern, wie sie fallen - clumsily translated: take festivities as they come.
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could barely find the comment form because I was so distracted by Bo's eyebrows in the below post. Must investigate that one! Thank you for the reminder. That sounds just like my daughter - always wanting to cuddle or connect, often after bedtime and while I'm working. Still, it means the world to both of us to say yes.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...