Wednesday, September 25, 2013

5 Thing I'm Letting My Second Do That I Never Let My First Do

Jeeps... between the generally chill demeanor and the waking up four times a night to nurse, it's never been more clear that Bo is a very different baby from baby P. Even if they're a little similar.


I don't know if I'm more laid back or what - or possibly just too exhausted to go that extra mile - but I find myself letting Bo do things that P. never got to do. Here are 5 things I'm letting my second baby do:

Sleep...well, whenever. We've never been ultra strict about scheduling sleep. At least not during the infant years. But I guess that goes double now since Bo's nickname is Partybaby specifically because... He. Does. Not. Want. To. Go. To. Sleep. Like ever. At night he does okay, but during the day, you can forget it. It's a good day if I get him down for one solid one and a half hour nap. It's a normal day if he sleeps for an hour. 

Eat cake. P.'s first real taste of sweets was the cupcake she stared at confusedly at her first birthday party. And then refused to eat. Bo, on the other hand, just about loses his mind when you try to feed him something that's not exactly what everyone else is eating. While I love this because it makes it easy to feed him most of the time, it's frustrating when P. is having cake or ice cream at a birthday party or a cookie treat at home. Sometimes I take him into a different room. And sometimes, I let him have a little cake.

Eat just about anything. Food, sure. And weird stuff for a baby, like spicy green curries and pickled ginger. So far the only things he hasn't much liked at soy hot dogs and cold lentil soup. But while I'm not actively encouraging him to eat every little speck of dirt he finds, I'm also not losing my mind unless what he's eating is poisonous or a choking hazard. That means crunchy fall leaf bits and what we call floor fuzzies are sometimes on the menu.

Watch TV. At Bo's very first doctor appointment outside of the hospital, the bored pediatrician was running through the list of things new parents ought to know. Like put babies to sleep on their backs and rear facing car seats until two, etc. When he got to no screen time for the first two years, we all kind of shrugged. P. sometimes watches a show. Sunday night is Family Movie Night. Bo is going to see a little TV. So far, the only thing that has interested him was a single commercial for some totally weird costumed musical group for toddlers none of us had ever heard of.

Climb. I'm talking about stairs - the mister has actually been teaching Bo to navigate the stairs, eep. And I'm talking about playground equipment. Big kid playground equipment. Yesterday, we four walked to one of our many local playgrounds and while P. had her fill of sliding and riding and running around, Bo (with help) climbed up pretty much everything. Recently, I caught Bo having snuck halfway up to the second floor while I grabbed clothes. As terrifying as it was, I guess I'd rather he know how to navigate them!

What have you found yourself letting your subsequent little ones do that your first never got to do??

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely with you on being more lax with the second child. We were all about making sure that our first ate mostly veggies and fruit...the second is all about bread and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to keep it fresh around here, for sure, but Bo's love of whatever everyone else is having means that he got carbs waaaaay before P. ever tasted them :)

      Delete
  2. I did try so with Max - but my experience as a firstborn girl with a little brother: I had to fight for nearly everything - he just got it (going to bed late/r, eating chocolate, watching tv...) it is normal - I think today. And he seems to be as healthy as one can be.... Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you fought the fight for him - your little brother got the benefit of your struggle ;)

      Delete
  3. no screen time for 2 years! Oh dear, and I was just looking with relief at the 18mo old for excitedly settling onto the couch with her siblings to watch a show so I can make dinner in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing - Bo sees the TV but has NO interest in it beyond when there's music playing. P. wouldn't watch anything until about 18 mo. And the first thing she liked was the OK Go video with the dogs.

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...