Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Reflections On My 9/11/2001

Time has passed. Honestly, my memory of that day is a bit fuzzy now and may have been colored by things I've read and things I've seen. But there are some things I'll probably always remember about 9/11/2001. Here are just a few:

  • Not having any idea what was happening. I was driving a borrowed car that day, heading away from Manhattan, listening to a CD instead of my usual radio.
  • Walking into class to find out that a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers - but no one knew what kind of plane or why or that another was shortly to follow. 
  • Standing in front of a TV in the journalism and broadcast studies building with a crowd of silent students as we stared at footage of the towers collapsing.
  • Watching the smoke billow up over the spot the Towers used to be from the roof of my university's library.
  • Trying to get hold of my mom who was going to be in meetings in the city all that day. There was no cell service for hours and no one knew where anyone was.
  • The roadblocks between counties that kept so many people from going home... and being talked around them by my roommate while I drove in circles down back roads so I could make it back into Queens.
  • Getting email after email from my friends across the pond just checking in to make sure I and my loved ones weren't in the thick of things.
  • Driving around helplessly thinking we could find somewhere to give blood but everyone else had the same idea and there was consequently more blood than anyone could possibly need.
  • Walking back and forth on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade at twilight, taking photos of the still smoking skyline and the piles of candles lining the fence.

What do you remember about that day?

3 comments:

  1. I remember mostly:
    1) using the toilet with the door open so I could still watch the news on tv
    2) phone lines being jammed, and CNN and other websites being down and getting most up to date news from IRC and web forums
    3) waiting for a similar attack in Chicago
    4) freaking out every time a semi downshifted on the highway not far from us, since it sounded kind of like a jet coming in low

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember so much - such a story of that day. One thing I keep thinking about is the way we watch news forever changed that day. I was a journalism major at the time and I remember that you'd watch the newscasts and any info about other world or national news would be words going across the screen at the bottom. These days, they do that! And we have come to expect loads of information about different things at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Atlanta and overslept so I missed the first plane crash into the first Tower. I woke up and turned on the news just in time to see the second plane slam right into the second tower. I thought I was watching a movie trailer. It was surreal. It still seems like a bad dream that we are gong to wake up from

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...