Sunday, December 22, 2013

In the Wake of the 2013 Holiday Show


The 2013 Holiday Show is over, and I can't say I'm unhappy about that. I'm relieved, really, that I can move on to the next thing.

I was only in two numbers and P. was in just the one but there's something about knowing that a performance is approaching that makes you feel busier. If you're a dancer you've probably found yourself running through steps in the grocery line, during car rides, or while washing dishes. There are things to buy - so many things. For instance, the day before the show I had to drive half in hour through holiday traffic to get to the closest dancewear shop for last-minute black fishnet tights for me and wee tap shoes in the next size up for P.

And the rule in our house is that if you're going to be in a show, your personal entrance fee is practice, practice, practice. I had to help P. run through her routine once a day and then run through mine at least once to show her I was practicing, too. Being a dance mom must be work enough. Being a 'real dance mom,' by which I mean a mom of a dancer who then also dances, is twice the work and then some.

Now we both have two weeks off from class and while I'll miss it, I'm enjoying the feeling of not having an upcoming show on the calendar and not having to work around four hours of dance a week for me plus one for P. That doesn't sound like a lot but it can feel that way when you're trying to find the time.

For the curious, I put our numbers on YouTube. First there's me and the Adult Company girls opening the show. The expression I was going for was "sassy" but what I ended up with was "crazy face." Hopefully in those fishnets no one was looking at my face...


And then there's P., here in the second group of dancing Tinies. She came early with me and was the only little one to be part of the dress rehearsal, which was fun. But then when it was time to go on she was first very concerned that there was no stage to put her at a level higher than the audience, and during the performance (as she told me later) she was very curious to see if the older girls behind her were doing the same moves. Whatevs. The promise of a waiting lolly got her through it.


And finally, here's a very shaky video of the teen/adult tap dancers doing the holiday kickline routine. The mister didn't know our number was coming so didn't have the camera at the ready and then Bo wanted to do the filming himself so kept grabbing at the camera. 


As soon as my second number was over I booked it to the changing room because I was sweating buckets in my totally un-breathable Rockette costume. (Fun fact: I wore that same costume in my senior year of high school in my kickline group and I've worn it on and off for various Halloweens since then. Unfortunately, when you're outside of NYC people just assume that the Rockette costume is a naughty little elf costume.) I got to watch the rest of the show holding an entranced Bo.  

real dancemoms

Do your kids dance? Do you?

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I used to dance but stopped when I was in High School mostly to rebel and teenage angst. I would love to get my boys into dance, but classes don't start until the age of 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're super lucky in that the classes here start at 2yo and then there's now an infant and mommy class (though I have neither the time nor the $ ha)! I feel like getting kids into dance early - especially boys - makes a diff. We have a couple of boy-only classes at the studio but there are boys in the mixed classes, too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I just have to say you have amazing gams!! I stopped dancing in middle school...switched to cross country. I have been toying with the idea of taking this African dance class with my neighbor. Marlie does gymnastics and I would love to enroll her in a dance program when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thank you!

      Re: dance - Do it! Why not? It's feels amazing :)

      Delete
  3. So cute! I still dance too, mostly tap. And I just started a mommy and me dance class with my 2 year old. It's pretty much the most adorable thing ever watching them try to do their little ballet moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another tapping mama! Awesome! I know what you mean about watching the wee ones. I love it :)

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...