Thursday, January 2, 2014

Looking Back, Looking Forward

Honestly, for us 2013 was a pretty good year.

A busy year that passed at lightning speed but good. My big accomplishment was launching Mom Meet Mom with a couple of awesome ladies.

http://mommeetmom.com

I also quit the agency and went back to freelancing so I could be home with Bo full time during his first year - thereby meeting at least one long-term, big deal goal. We did lots of fun family activities like hiking the local preserves and crafts and we went to the zoo and played in the snow and started some new traditions, too.

Oh, and we paid off the mister's student loans, which was definitely a 'capital b' Big Deal.

(Advice from someone who's been there: The Dave Ramsey snowball? It works. No foolin'. Barring any crazy emergencies, all we have left debt-wise is the mortgage.)

But I pretty much ignored the other goals I hastily set for 2013 because learning to purl was really not a priority considering the new baby and the new clients. And by ignored I mean I never went back to look at them after writing them down some time in the first week of that year because whatever I wrote was nothing more than token resolution setting so I'd have something to post along with everyone else's 7 things or whatever the meme was at the time.

The only goal I had for 2013 that I actually accomplished - or cared about - was my goal of spending more time doing fun things locally with my family. 


And that's okay because having that goal in the back of my mind inspired me to seek out events and activities I wouldn't have otherwise. Ballet might have been on my list of what I most certainly was not calling new year's resolutions and, hey, I started back in classes. If it wasn't on my list, it ought to have been.

That pretty much sums up 2013. I didn't make any grand resolutions during the mister's and my low-key New Year's Eve night in. He resolved to work on original music once a day on his train ride, so that's doable. I don't personally much like the resolutions model because it seems like they're often open-ended and non-measurable and consequently so easy to fail at. Me? I'm going to think of some things I'd like to do in 2014 - like blog more and practice dance more - and leave it at that.

Except... I do have one thing I'd really, really like to do over the course of this year and that's finish. As in finish the blog posts that are in my drafts folder. Finish the memoir that I was working on for months and then I just stalled when the going got tough and the work got busy. Finish at least one of the sewing projects I mapped out but never even started in 2013, like the pillowcase dress with the pretty lace edging and the striped ribbon or a quilt for Bo made with scraps and the mister's old shirts. I have so many unfinished projects in my life. Maybe you do, too, in which case let's make 2014 the year of finishing, huh?

And finally, I'd like to be a more patient mama in 2014. I'd like to go to the park with P. more - a goal that hinges on Bo learning to walk because right now he's low to the ground with a tendency to eat the playground mulch. I'd like to go on more hikes, explore more trails, and bring birdseed so P. can feed one of the little tame sparrows from her hand like I did this past summer.

Now I'd love to hear about your goals for 2014. Whatever they are! I bet you and I can make anything happen this year because I know it's going to be the best year ever.

We just gotta remember:


5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!

    I need to learn to be more patient as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't know a single parent who shouldn't be making that resolution in 2014! Maybe not even a single person!

      Delete
  2. Patience is an opportunity everyone gets to try on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank goodness for the fresh start of each new day!

      Delete
  3. One of my goals for the year is to follow through... similar to finish! Plenty of drafts to finish myself and I just want to be better at following through with plans or what I say I'm going to do.

    Nice job on the debts. I hear Dave Ramsey's plans do work but again, my follow through hasn't been the best ;)

    Lolly
    SITS Tribe

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...