Thursday, February 6, 2014

An Easy Valentine's Day Craft (with Paint and Toilet Paper Tubes)



This has been a weird week Our regular daycare has been temporarily closed and yesterday turned into a snow day. But P. wasn't feeling well enough to frolic in the driving snow and I wasn't feeling generous enough to let her watch movies ALL day (just most of it) so I let her know early on that after lunch we'd be doing a craft.

Which meant I needed to actually figure out a craft we could do with stuff we already had because shopping was not happening.

Lucky for me a quick peek at Pinterest was all it took to remind me of just about the easiest Valentine's Day craft for kids there is: toilet paper roll heart stamps! I thought we could knock down two birdies with one little stone by not just stamping but making Valentines for friends and family.

Here's how it's done:

valentine's day crafts for kids

To make the heart stamp, take a toilet paper tube and flatten it, then push on of the edges in. Bam, you've got yourself a heart. Bigger kids can use the heart stamp as-is - squeezing it for skinny hearts or letting it open a bit for wider ones. We, however, taped our rolls so they kept the exact shape we wanted.

valentine's day crafts for kids

I mixed up different shades of pink paint in addition to the red we already had and P. started stamping.



valentine's day crafts for kids

Knowing what I know now, I would have sat the rolls in the paint for a bit first because they definitely work better once the paint has moistened up the cardboard so it has a little squish to it.

valentine's day crafts for kids

P. liked to make patterns and to keep her stamped Valentine hearts from touching, but I overlapped mine in all sorts of ways.

I ended up liking the way it looked so much I grabbed a canvas out of the art closet and made something to display on the piano for Valentine's Day!

valentine's day crafts for kids

Now that our hearts are dry all that remains to do is fold the paper into cards, write a sweet message in each, and deliver them to the lucky people on P.'s list. :)

What kinds of Valentine's Day crafts have you done with your kids?

P.S. - Check out my post on why you should stop reading so many mommy blogs!

P.P.S. - Have you checked out Mom Meet Mom yet? What do you like? What don't you like?

6 comments:

  1. I am not a craft person, but this worked out very well! And I think Scarlet would enjoy it.
    Hope you're all feeling well! Winter is getting old..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't deal with any more winter!

      And seriously, if you're going to attempt a craft this is the one because depending on what you use to hold the paint cleanup means tossing everything in the trash. WIN!

      Delete
  2. Love it - I gotta do easy or I'll never do it at all! Super simple is key for me and I'm excited to try this with my ladies. Thanks for sharing!! :) Heading over to check out the Mom Meet Mom thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it :) And hope you enjoy Mom Meet Mom!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome idea. My daughter would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...