Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Everything But the Rainbow Birthday Cake!

Where've I been? Busy. With parenting and work and Mom Meet Mom. P. had her 5th birthday, too - her real birthday. For her special day she requested... get this... a three-tiered rainbow cake with pink frosting. Aim high, I guess. But I'm a sucker for my not-so-little girl so I had to do it and so I did. Hopefully I'll have a real update for you soon - along with a review of some complementary duds from Mini Boden - but until then have a look at the making of P.'s rainbow cake (which was entirely vegan).


This is one of those times where you know a big load of dishes is going to have to get done.


I got so many compliments on the depth of the colors but I just used regular old Betty Crocker gel food coloring.


I experimented with freezing the layers to make assembly easier but it didn't actually make assembly any easier. Oh, well.


Guess how fast these got eaten. Seriously. So fast.


And here is P.'s three-tiered rainbow cake in production the day before the big fifth birthday bash! To see the final product, tune in tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed. I have always wanted to make a rainbow cake for Scarlet. Last year I made buttercream cupcakes and I actually used piping! And bonus points that I put little Alice in Wonderland "Eat Me" flags in the cupcakes and balanced them on a house of cards cupcake holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds awesome!

      Rainbow cake is as easy as coloring batter in six bowls, ha! This time I combined colors in layers because I didn't have enough batter to do it single color to a pan, but when P. turned two I did one color per layer: http://howbabbyformed.blogspot.com/2011/02/8-things-ive-learned-by-hosting-toddler.html

      Delete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...