Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Salted Nutella Latte Recipe: Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen.

Once upon a time, fictional character Dale Cooper said, "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen." Words to live by. I mean just plain good advice - especially for those of us with children and jobs and responsibilities and blah blah blah.

Right now, really actually today because this was not a scheduled post, before I settle my nose to the grindstone I am going to do just that. The first present will be taking off the skinny jeans I wore to a meeting and putting on some sweatpants that have seen better days. The second? A salted Nutella latte.


Am I wearing my ratty old sweatpants out to the local indie coffee shop? Heaven forbid! If I was going out you better believe I'd be squeezing my bum back into my skinnies. Nope, I am giving myself the gift of making myself a salted Nutella latte right on my very own stove.

Here's how you can make one for yourself - i.e., the salted Nutella latte recipe, as promised in the post title:

1. Heat some milk. I'm using milk from a cow. You can use soy or whatever you please. I can't tell you how much to use because your mug may be of a different size than mine. Whatever you do, don't scald the milk because it will develop a nasty skin. If it does skin up? It's still good, just discard the skin.

2. Make your espresso. I use a moka pot on the stove. You could use a wicked expensive Italian espresso machine, if you like. The Bialetti Moka Express is easier, though, and it gives you true old school cred. I think old school cred makes lattes taste nicer.

3. Whisk some Nutella into your hot milk. I like to use, um, a couple of big spoonfuls. Note that some Nutella is going to stick to your spoon and you should probably lick that off of there so you don't waste it. This makes the salted Nutella latte "green". Note also that Nutella is not vegan. Sorry, but there are vegan subs!

4. Froth the milk. I use a little milk frother stick that Ikea sells for $1 but I bought on Amazon from a reseller for $4. Thanks to the Nutella, it's not going to get super foamy but that's okay because we are grownup coffee drinkers who don't need a mountain of foam to think coffee is good.

5. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over your foam. Just a pinch. I wanted to see how far I could take it one day and you know, saltier did not equal better. When in doubt, hold back.

6. Create your latte. Pour the milk into your mug or cup or a fancy French Chocolat chau bowl - whatever you like. Then gently pour the espresso in. Hopefully you have left enough room. If you want, try to draw a picture in the foam with the coffee but don't get your hopes up.

Fin.


In an ideal world, maybe I'd just happen to find myself at the Coach store and just happen to be buying a lovely navy (or maybe yellow) Madison East/West tote on some given day, but this is my world which means coffee it is.

At least for today. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...