Monday, September 8, 2014

The Biggest First We've Ever Had?

Today was the first day of kindergarten. We survived. And I didn't cry. P. didn't cry. Even the mister didn't cry, which I found a little amazing. He's a sensitive dude when it comes to his kids.


And best part as far as I'm concerned, is that P. let me take bunches of pictures of her holding my very badly drawn and undated K. Cute, huh? For the record, today was 9-8-2014.



Were we nervous? I was not nervous, except about getting there on time - mainly because I didn't want to be *that parent*. P. went from being a little nervous to more nervous to not nervous anymore when a girl she remembered from orientation arrived.







Don't you just love how huge their backpacks look!?

The worst part was probably that we were pretty much the last parents to get there for pickup. Someone has to be last, right? The teacher won't forever think of us as *those parents*, right?


I'd much prefer she think of us as the parents who showed up last carrying a homemade electric pink Schultüte almost as big as our child. P. was certainly intrigued - "Mama... what is in that... thing?" - and delighted once she opened it to find everything from Nutella & Go packs, Gummibärchen, Yan Yan, a new My Little Pony, doll clothes, and more.  

And now thanks to district scheduling weirdness involving a late start for kindergarten and early professional development days, P.'s first day of school will be immediately followed by her first day off from school. It's our town's way of welcoming us moms and dads to the world of parenting school-age kids!  

(Hey, you! Tell me about your kids' first day of school experiences!)

8 comments:

  1. I love the Schultüte! Well done! (And congrats--it's a big day!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll admit that your experiences have given me a fright but I think it will be okay. I checked on the teacher on some of the private local FB groups and she had rave reviews.

      Delete
    2. We've had a combo of bad luck and bad decisions (as in I will never put my kid in a charter school again)--and I'd put money on the bad schools in your neck of the woods trouncing the best schools here!

      Delete
  2. My son's first day on the bus... End of the day, the bus gets to his stop, bus driver calls out, "Okay E, here's your stop, time to go!" ... "E? Time to go, this is your stop." ... driver goes and gets him. Once off the bus, he tells his Mommy, all confused: "Daddy told me to wait until everyone else gets off the bus." FYI - kids have severe selective hearing, what I actually told him was to listen to to the bus driver and if anyone else is getting off the bus, to wait his turn... le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids! You never can tell how they're interpreting what you're saying!

      Delete
  3. My son started last week. They just throw them right into the schedule of 8:30am - 2:00pm- no easing in. There have been no tears nor tantrums thus far, and he seems to be doing well. I think it helped that he went to summer camp there this year so he knows the environment and the people. I'm terrified of being *those parents* as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had full day around here but full day means tuition. Every other district around ours has full day standard. No clue why ours doesn't though I imagine it's a money issue of some kind.

      Delete
  4. Happy first day of kindergarten, how exciting! :-) Love the sign with the "K"!!
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...