Saturday, June 13, 2015

Why Father's Day Will Be Extra Special This Year

Maybe you know and maybe you don't, but my parents split up when I was younger than P. is now. Actually, when she got to be older than I was when my mom and dad got divorced I gave myself a private high five. Like, aw yeah, these kids are going to grow up with two parents in situ.

As an adult I recognize that my childhood was probably better for my parents living with a half dozen US states between them, but there were consequences. Christmases and birthdays were problematic. What to do with me in summer. And then there were the dance recitals.


In all my 35 years my dad has never been able to attend one of my dance shows. Not going to lie, that was totally depressing when I was a little kid. As I got older it stopped bothering me because it was just the normal experience for us children of divorce.

But this year? Things are going to be different. This year, for Father's Day, I bought my dad a plane ticket. Because this year's end of season show - in which I'll be performing in four numbers and P. will be in two - happens to actually be on Father's Day.

You might be thinking what a gift it will be for my dad to be there in the audience. But consider that it will be a gift for me, too. Money well spent!

3 comments:

  1. FEEEEEEELS!!!!!! I am literally tearing up. <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be one of the best gifts I have ever received.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...