Friday, August 11, 2017

I Guess if THAT Happens I'll Just Name Him John

I'd totally forgotten about this, but once upon a time, back when she was probably younger than the Bo, P. decided to tell me what her future will be like.

She was going to be a mother.

Mama to three girls, in fact: Elsa, the eldest. Pearl, the middle child. And Lily, the littlest.

How sweet (and specific) is that?

Then she said, "I wonder what my husband will be like."

So you think you'll get married? was the next obvious question. Not everyone does, I explained.

Well, of course I'll get married, she said...

"Otherwise who would watch the babies while I was at work?"

"Makes sense," I said.

Then I asked her what would happen if she had a boy instead of the sweet three girls she was imagining. After all, I admitted, it happened to me. P. stared at me, confused by the question or maybe caught off guard by my admission.

I explained that I'd always assumed I'd have two girls, close in age, but you never do know exactly what you're going to get. One baby or none. Happy accidents or not at all what you planned for. Not everyone gets to be a mother in the traditional way or in the way they hoped for.

I asked again: "So if you have a boy?" 

She thought about it for a bit and answered, "I guess if THAT happens I'll just name him John."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...